recessive gene in fainting goats?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by whatknott, Mar 8, 2008.

1. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I had a strange episode yesterday - I was singling out certain goats that needed worming, vaccinations and hoof trimming. I have a 2 year old pygmy cross wether that had his head in the hay feeder with a bunch of sheep and I quick grabbed his collar and pulled him back out of the crowd. The next thing I knew, he was on the floor and I stumbled over him. I thought "what in the world"!! When he stood up, his back legs were stiff for a few seconds and then he was fine - it looked like he fainted! His grandfather or maybe greatgrandfather was a fainter and I never saw any sign of fainting babies until this episode - maybe he just faltered and I fell on top of him, but it sure seemed like he fainted. Is this possible that the recessive gene can still cause fainting?

2. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    It is not common for a first cross such as a Pygmy x Fainter to faint. If it was his grandfather I would think there would be very very slim to no chance of your wether having the fainting gene.
    It is more likely he just got tripped up.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am not sure what you saw was an episode of myotonia. Anything is possible but I would say if it happens again, there is a good chance that he is carrying the myotonia condition. I had a pygmy/myotonic but her dam was fullblood myotonic and her sire was 1/4 myotonic. Is there any chance that his dam or sire had a little myotonic in them? Also, for a goat to stiffen, they have to be at least 50% myotonic.

4. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    that's kind of what I thought too , but his back legs sure were stiff when he stood up - probably will never happen again...

5. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    well, when I last posted about this, I said my wether probably will never "faint" again. Well, he's done it three more times - two of the times was when he was being taken out of a dog crate inside our van and he had to hop down onto the driveway - he's done this many times but now, when he jumps out, he stiffens his back legs and either "faints" or just stands there very stiff until he can get moving again. As far as i can trace his lineage (unfortunately I didn't keep real good records awhile back!), his grandfather was a fainter, but that was the only fainting gene in his lineage. So theroetically he should not be doing this, but it's definitely a fainting trait. And why now when he's two years old??? Something very strange.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have goats that when you lead them the "pass out" when you keep too much pressure on their collars.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    now thats to funny. I really have no answer on why he is doing this but I would say it has to do with his grandfather. There are always those things in nature you just can't explain.

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would say that his grandfather passed down the traits then