Recommend some goat books

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hello everyone!

I really love to read, and a favorite subject is, of course, the animals I keep. And I just know some of you out there know some great books on goats!

I do have Storey's Guide to Dairy Goats, having REALLY enjoyed and benefited from Storey's Guide to Chickens, and while it was good, I felt it was a little flat. I'd really love to get a couple books with some awesome pictures and more information.

So please, share your favorite books. :grouphug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sheep and Goat medicine by D.G. Pugh -- can be a little over the head but SO with the $80.00

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    One that I really liked and I go to all the time is (OH man I have gone blank). I think it is Natural goat cures. It si WONDERFUL, and has great ideas.

4. toi

toi New Member

May 23, 2008
    GA
    A few weeks ago I found this document by the Wisconsin Dairy Goat Association. Although it's focus is on starting a dairy goat farm as a business, it also gave me lots of good basic information on raising and caring for dairy goats, similar to the Storey's Guide.

http://www.wdga.org/resources/bmp1.pdf

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you! I'll definitely look up those books, and check out that document.

:hug:

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Dairy Goats for Pleasure and Profit is by far the best book I have owned, it is by Harvey Considine.

Natural Goat Care by Pat Coleby is another good one, but I do not follow everything she recommends in it, we used to. We've found that since she's in Australia, its harder to follow her book when it comes to minerals because the soils are so different over there. It is a great reference book though.

Goat Medicine, I forget who its by, its a big green book, it was $80 but so worth it.

Meat Goats: Their History Management and Diseases, even if you don't own meat goats this is still a really good reference book. It has a very in depth section about parasites and diseases.

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Those sounds great goathappy; looks like later I'll be book hunting online!

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh stupid me, forgot to give away my secret. To find books for cheap, check out http://www.campusi.com I've saved a ton of money finding my books through there :)