The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some help from some of the sheep people here.
I'm hoping to get a few miniature cheviot sheep next spring or possibly sooner. I want to make sure I have everything prepared. Since it gets so hot here in the summer I'm planning on shearing them. What are some recommendation for clippers? Any tools or accessories needed?
I talked to the lady at the feed store and they carry the loose minerals and feed for sheep. I feed the horses ADM and was hoping if I have to feed grain to stay with them. But from what I understand grass, hay and alfalfa is the best option, which is great with me. Would it be better to stay with forage and no grain? Or add grain in the winter when the grass is gone and its only alfalfa and hay?
Anything else I need to know and keep on hand?
My farrier does sheep and goats too, so that's a bonus :)

I may be going to look at a ram in a few weeks. He is 6 years old and their breeding ram. He's registered and pretty nice looking from what I can see in the pictures. But I don't have plans on breeding and he would be castrated if I did buy him. I had considered breeding them, but I don't feel knowledgable enough to. I found out I can't handle selling animals very well. :rolleyes:
I'm emailing them to find out more about him and his personality. I'm not sure how it will be with his age, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I have a lot of questions. I've never had sheep and its been a while since the goats.:eek:

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I have Babydolls and they stay fat on just alfalfa. I don't grain them at all and they're still overweight. It depends on the sheep, some might need grain and others might not. If you do want to give them grain, then it needs to be sheep specific. They do need good quality hay through the winter at least. I've found that mine do really well on alfalfa.

Rams generally don't make good pets and you'll want at least a pair of sheep so they stay happy. A wether and ewe are fine, or two wethers, two ewes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both.
I plan on getting atleast 2 so they won't be by themselves. For some reason I always liked the ewes, but if I can find a nice wether I don't really mind. Definitely not going to be feeding horse feed. I worded it wrong, I meant stay with the same company but feed their sheep feed. I think I'll try the hay, alfalfa and grass first and see how they do with it.

I may be getting a pair of goats this spring as well. So I'll have to wait and see :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts