The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a goat farmer from Kenya Makueni County. Been trying to keep records for expenses so that I can determine if I am making profit. I also want to track my flock. Things like date of birth, treatment, selling price, health etc but all in one spead sheet where I can also drill down information to a specific goat. Anyone with a goof excel sheet? All goats have ear tags.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I am a goat farmer from Kenya Makueni County. Been trying to keep records for expenses so that I can determine if I am making profit. I also want to track my flock. Things like date of birth, treatment, selling price, health etc but all in one spead sheet where I can also drill down information to a specific goat. Anyone with a goof excel sheet? All goats have ear tags.
Welcome to The Goat Spot!
We would love to see pictures of your herd in Kenya. I can't help with a spreadsheet as I'm still doing books by hand the old fashioned way. I just wanted to say welcome and we are glad you're here to share what it's like raising goats there.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I use an app that I got on google play store called "LiveStocked". I t may be downloadable to a spreadsheet.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
271 Posts
Great question. I've been looking for the perfect record-keeping solution for some time and periodically search thegoatspot, hoping for a really useful conversation about it. I've yet to find one- conversation or software/app.

What scale are you? I went to a great workshop last week lead by Jim Gerrish and he suggested an amazing program but you need to big BIG to make it worthwhile. He had a discount for it too. You and I are probably not coming close.

If you find something you like, please do share it here.

·
Registered
407 Posts
We have special computer programs on animal husbandry for the farmer, and I think you have them too.

Excerpt from user manual:

Basic program functions
• Balancing rations for all the regulated components of nutrition and ratios
• Storage of characteristics in the database and inclusion in the calculation of the diet of virtually unlimited amounts of feed
• Determination of the feeding rate on the characteristics of animals
• Correction of feeding rates
• The formation of personal norms of feeding
• Calculation of rations according to optimization criteria:

• Calculation of potential milk yield of goats
• Fixing the amount or percentage of feed in the diet
• Calculation of the optimal composition of the premix
• Analysis of the balance and efficiency of animal feeding on calculated and manually set diets
• Calculation of the productivity provided by the diet
• The calculation and structuring of the losses caused by deviations of the nutrient density of the diet from the norms of feeding
• Formation and maintenance of a database on feed
• Generation and printing of reports, feeding tasks, analytical tables and charts.

The functionality provided by additional modules
• Calculation and analysis of "custom" feed, bmvd, premixes, optimized simultaneously with the optimization of diets
• Setting the required structure of feed before calculating the diet
• Allocation in the calculated feed of the customer's feed group and setting the structure of this group
• Calculation of feed recipes, bmvd, required nutrient premixes
• Calculation of the price of compound feeds, bmvd, premixes
• Optimization criteria and conditions:
 maximum profitability
 maximum productivity
 maximum safety of the animal
 maximum profit for a given balance
 the maximum profit for a given value of the diet
 the maximum balance for a given value of the diet
 maximum profitability with a given balance
 minimum cost diet at a given balance
 minimum cost of diet with nutritional restrictions
 the minimum cost of the diet for a given productivity
 optimization of premix for the specified diet
- maximum profit
- for maximum balance
• Optimization and analysis of group feeding of goats
• Calculation of country houses of supplementary feeding of animals for high productivity
• Programming of weight gain in animals
• Optimization and analysis of feeding "plenty»
• Structuring of feed groups in the calculation of diets and feed
• Calculation of amino acid content in feed by crude protein
• Fixing the values of the power components
• Correction of the importance of nutrition components and ratios in animal feeding
• Addition of a set of power components by the User
• Taking into account the actual digestibility and absorption of feed
• Accounting of enzymes
• Define and account for the dependence of the economic loss from the breach of a planned expenditure of feed
• Accounting for the curve of lactation
• Calculation and analysis of milk production efficiency
• Taking into account the effect of atypical feed additive
• Taking into account the effect of betaine
• Calculation of maximum and optimal prices for feed products
• Accounting for the effect of feed mill
• Consulting monitoring

Bmvd is a special mixture containing highly concentrated components: protein (B), mineral (M), vitamin (B) in the form of additives (D), which are aimed to maximally balance the diet and provide high physiological needs of productive animals.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome! Hope you will feel happy to share goat keeping experiences from your country! And pictures! ;) Very good you try to keep records; that is more important than most people understand.

Nigerian dwarf goat's link looks good to me. Are you breeding for dairy, meat, or both? Is there any market in Kenya for pet goats, as there is in the USA? Here in Sweden, people would just stare at a pet breeder, saying "WHAT???"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts