The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been fighting parasites for a month now and one goat in particular is rather weak. Does anybody have any ideas of what might help strengthen him up a bit? He is going to a new home soon and we want him healthy so any advice would be appreciated.

·
4,499 Posts
Well...I'd say calf manna, or red cel wouldn't hurt. As well as pro bios and black oil sunflower seeds added to food. Of course ad other foods slowly so you don't disrupt his digestion...

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
What have you done for him so far? Copper bolus? BoSe shot? Do you have a good loose goat mineral out for them? Kelp?

Electrolytes in the water can be helpful but you must also have regular water out for them. I really like Replamin Plus. Give 5g once a week. If he is anemic than you want to do Red Cell which is 6cc per 100 lbs once a day for a few days.

It is going to take a while to recover from a bad parasite load. This won't happen in a few days.

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice, I got calf manna, Red cell and BOSS. Country farm and home did not have Bose but I am going to get some as soon as I can. I have given him injectable iron (the 3rd of Sept.) and vit B12. Molly's herbal wormer is what finally killed the worms.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You could add kelp to his diet for trace minerals and iodine.
Loose minerals available free choice would help him bounce back and deal with deficiencies caused by parasites.
Of course you could already be doing both in which case, awesome!

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will give him mineral free choice. Lately I have just been giving it to him on has food. How much calf manna and BOSS?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Giving minerals and kelp on his food is a fine option.
I would suggest adding BOSS until it comprises 10-15% of the ration.
Depending on what you use for grain your protein % shouldn't drop more than 1%
How much you use also depends on how expensive it is.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Good graze, hay/alfalfa and feed along with loose minerals and time. If you feel he needs added fat/protien then adding calf manna and or BOSS in small amounts...never add or increase too fast..keep in mind he needs his calcium/phosphorus to be 2:1 to prevent urniary calculi..
Check him for anemia using the famancha chart and treat if needed..anemia will drag them down fast! treatment is Red cell 6 cc per 100# B 12 daily, high protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves...
B complex is a good supplement to add energy and appitite

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently gave him injectable iron is it still safe to give him rrd cell?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
You can continue his iron treatment with red cell, but dont do both, if you gave iron shot today, wait until tomorrow for red cell....How does his eye lids look? What score would you give his eye from the famancha chart?
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ujo49WSDTL8

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dangerous to borderline. I will look tomorrow

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
then I would do the red cell daily for a week then once a week until you see good color..Vit B 12 will help rebuild red blood cells as well as high protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves..

you can also stick with the injectable iron if you prefer...daily for a few days then once a week until you see good color..

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, he is in the danger zone. I will keep giving him red cell

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
If you cant get Vit B 12 from a vet..try B complex Plus...it has enough 12 in it to help him recover faster...: ) best wises

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much. He is getting stronger now. We got some B12 from our vet.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Good Work!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts