The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fawn Dog breed Snout Terrestrial animal Grass
Head Eye Plant Goat Working animal
Super Fainty Myotonic Doeling. She has a cough and is being treated for it with antibiotics. Almost every time she coughs she scares herself and let's out a breathless shriek and rectum pops out like this. Sometimes it goes in itself and a few times I've had to help. Temp/Eyelids are fine.
Her sister died last week, she had the same problems, prolapse, cough treated w/antibiotics. Super super fainty. it is hard to find info on Myotonics unless you're just looking for "funny" falling videos. But I'm wondering if anyone knows if prolapse rectum is common with this breed or if it may just be my gals. I've had some experience with Myotonics but never this sensitive. I was planning to breed for meat but will never breed her now, she's too fainty and delicate, she passes out when the wind blows. She is a pet only. I'd like her to survive but is it best to cull or is she fixable & able to live a decent existence? She is having some blood today because of it popping out so many times. Regularly treated for coccidia, wormed, vaccines etc.

·
Administrator
84,575 Posts
A lot of coughing can cause rectal prolapses.

Inherited issues as well.

Did she have a high fever and ill, as to why she was started on antibiotics? or just a cough?
Does she cough more when running?

Coughs can also be from lungworms, dust, allergies as well.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,709 Posts
She is adorable. I would definitely have a vet check her out. I have Myotonics..several hard fainters..I've not experienced this prolapse. Sorry I cant help you

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Definitely would fecal for lung worm to rule that out as cause for coughing. I have never own fainter but know there are different degrees of sensitivity. She sounds extreme. As for prolapse, that may need to be surgically corrected if possible. As stated as long as it goes in by its self shouldn't be too bad but popping out every time she coughs is not good. Lots of exposure. Her poop looks a bit thick as well so some probiotics may help get her back to berries. Sadly hard keepers need a decision. Only one you and your family can make. Hard keepers cost you money worry and time. Every bit worth it if shes a loved pet but once her issues become a burden on her health then you have to consider her quality of life.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
Ps..THAT FACE...so sweet!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She never had a fever, only cough. But sister was on antibiotic for fever and runny nose and cough. So I was just giving her what was left of sister’s antibiotics since she was displaying some of the same symptoms. I have been monitoring her very closely and she coughs less and no prolapsing since Friday! She is bright, cheery & is playing again which I haven’t seen since her sister passed. She will probably be a hard keeper if problems like this keep arising and I have thought about her quality of life especially now that her sister & only “friend” is gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is she getting free choice minerals? Look into getting her some Magnesium and Potassium.
Something that "Might" help is Shepherd's Purse tenure, you put is directly on the prolapse.
She does get free choice minerals, baking soda and handful of rolled oats with coccidia pellets and probios mixed in 1x/day

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of coughing can cause rectal prolapses.

Inherited issues as well.

Did she have a high fever and ill, as to why she was started on antibiotics? or just a cough?
Does she cough more when running?

Coughs can also be from lungworms, dust, allergies as well.
Run? Hah. She does NOT run. She's a LADY!
She coughs when she eats. I sit and watch her every feeding now so I can watch for prolapse. She is doing well! No "outbursts" since Friday & the coughing is less & she is acting like her old self again. Antibiotics are finished. I was thinking that the prolapse might be inherited but I haven't found any literature on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely would fecal for lung worm to rule that out as cause for coughing. I have never own fainter but know there are different degrees of sensitivity. She sounds extreme. As for prolapse, that may need to be surgically corrected if possible. As stated as long as it goes in by its self shouldn't be too bad but popping out every time she coughs is not good. Lots of exposure. Her poop looks a bit thick as well so some probiotics may help get her back to berries. Sadly hard keepers need a decision. Only one you and your family can make. Hard keepers cost you money worry and time. Every bit worth it if shes a loved pet but once her issues become a burden on her health then you have to consider her quality of life.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,709 Posts
She is adorable! I've never dealt with that prolapse in any.of my Myotonics. I had the does for 5 years..and each have delivered several kids for me. Sorry I couldnt help you. But I'm not a guesser ..I would rather have experience or education behind the information. I do hope she does better for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts