Rectal Prolapse 5mo Fainter Doeling

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by psychotichihuahua, Oct 30, 2020.

1. psychotichihuahua

psychotichihuahua New Member

Jan 22, 2020
    Calimesa Ca
    E6AC4547-3C0C-4300-9582-B255FF34098C.jpeg 0D710EAA-FACC-4F4D-99DB-FCA23D27DF2B.jpeg Super Fainty Myotonic Doeling. She has a cough and is being treated for it with antibiotics. Almost every time she coughs she scares herself and let’s out a breathless shriek and rectum pops out like this. Sometimes it goes in itself and a few times I’ve had to help. Temp/Eyelids are fine.
    Her sister died last week, she had the same problems, prolapse, cough treated w/antibiotics. Super super fainty. it is hard to find info on Myotonics unless you’re just looking for “funny” falling videos. But I’m wondering if anyone knows if prolapse rectum is common with this breed or if it may just be my gals. I’ve had some experience with Myotonics but never this sensitive. I was planning to breed for meat but will never breed her now, she’s too fainty and delicate, she passes out when the wind blows. She is a pet only. I’d like her to survive but is it best to cull or is she fixable & able to live a decent existence? She is having some blood today because of it popping out so many times. Regularly treated for coccidia, wormed, vaccines etc.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What has the vet said about it? It isn't good that her sibling died from the same thing. Any insight from what the sibling went through?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A lot of coughing can cause rectal prolapses.

Inherited issues as well.

Did she have a high fever and ill, as to why she was started on antibiotics? or just a cough?
    Does she cough more when running?

Coughs can also be from lungworms, dust, allergies as well.

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would call your vet. If it’s prolapsing when coughing but it goes back in that is less concerning, but if it’s still out a vet needs to fix it. Did she have a fever?

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    She is adorable. I would definitely have a vet check her out. I have Myotonics..several hard fainters..I've not experienced this prolapse. Sorry I cant help you

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  6. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Poor baby. I agree on the vet. If that is not a option try some preparation H and see if that will shrink it down and keep it in. Hopefully when she stops coughing that will help too.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Definitely would fecal for lung worm to rule that out as cause for coughing. I have never own fainter but know there are different degrees of sensitivity. She sounds extreme. As for prolapse, that may need to be surgically corrected if possible. As stated as long as it goes in by its self shouldn't be too bad but popping out every time she coughs is not good. Lots of exposure. Her poop looks a bit thick as well so some probiotics may help get her back to berries. Sadly hard keepers need a decision. Only one you and your family can make. Hard keepers cost you money worry and time. Every bit worth it if shes a loved pet but once her issues become a burden on her health then you have to consider her quality of life.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Ps..THAT FACE...so sweet!

9. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Is she getting free choice minerals? Look into getting her some Magnesium and Potassium.
    Something that "Might" help is Shepherd's Purse tenure, you put is directly on the prolapse.

10. psychotichihuahua

Jan 22, 2020
    Calimesa Ca
    She never had a fever, only cough. But sister was on antibiotic for fever and runny nose and cough. So I was just giving her what was left of sister’s antibiotics since she was displaying some of the same symptoms. I have been monitoring her very closely and she coughs less and no prolapsing since Friday! She is bright, cheery & is playing again which I haven’t seen since her sister passed. She will probably be a hard keeper if problems like this keep arising and I have thought about her quality of life especially now that her sister & only “friend” is gone.

11. psychotichihuahua

Jan 22, 2020
    Calimesa Ca
    She does get free choice minerals, baking soda and handful of rolled oats with coccidia pellets and probios mixed in 1x/day

12. psychotichihuahua

Jan 22, 2020
    Calimesa Ca
    Run? Hah. She does NOT run. She’s a LADY!
    She coughs when she eats. I sit and watch her every feeding now so I can watch for prolapse. She is doing well! No “outbursts” since Friday & the coughing is less & she is acting like her old self again. Antibiotics are finished. I was thinking that the prolapse might be inherited but I haven’t found any literature on it.

13. psychotichihuahua

Jan 22, 2020
    Calimesa Ca

Attached Files:

14. psychotichihuahua

Jan 22, 2020
    Calimesa Ca
    I haven’t had her see the vet. I’m thinking he’s just going to want to give antibiotics which I already have her on and she is responding very well to.

15. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    She is adorable! I've never dealt with that prolapse in any.of my Myotonics. I had the does for 5 years..and each have delivered several kids for me. Sorry I couldnt help you. But I'm not a guesser ..I would rather have experience or education behind the information. I do hope she does better for you.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  16. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I agree when in doubt...see the vet.
    Does she have another goat friend to be with since her sisters gone

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Goats run, old, young, ladies etc.
    I was trying to find out, when she ran, does she cough then?
    Lungworms come to mind, yet if she doesn’t run, the question is not answered there.

MadHouse likes this.