The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 yr old buck with rectal prolapse he was fine yesterday morning but around dinner time he started crying non stop. I noticed he was straining to poo but was passing nothing I gave a warm water enema with very little results. any suggestions would be welcome and appriciated

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I would seek a vet...there could be more going on...do you see the rectum on the outside? it would be a red blob like thing? or do you think he has one because of his behavior?? I ask because it sounds like he could have Urinary Calculi which will cause him to strain, cry out in pain..pee in dribbles or not at all..Either way he needs a vet asap...if he has Urinary Claculi every minute counts if he is to pull through..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is definatly prlapse he has a golf ball sized blob that is bright red sticking out my only problem is the nearest vet is over 100 miles away we live in a small town and the only vet does dogs and cats only :(

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Has he pooped yet??? It doesn't sound all that big so I would wash it off with warm water and get some sugar and put on it and see if very gently you could get it to go back in. That sugar is awesome stuff. I used it on a doe with a vaganial prolape and blew my mind on how it shrunk it. You might after you get it to go back in hold it there for a little while. Also I would take happybleats to heart on the UC since he might have still been straining over that. Just make sure you see some good pee come out of him. Good luck hope this helps ya

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I agree with Jessica on taking care of it.....And yes..do see him pee to be sure he is peeing properly...check for crystals and water belly....hes straining for some reason..Urinary Calculi can caused Rectum prolaps...

Symptoms of Stones: per fiasco farms...

(A goat may, or may not, show all symptoms)

Abdominal discomfort. Restlessness, kick at their belly and frequent attempts to urinate.
Attempts to urinate may be accompanied by twitching of the tail. The goat may groan or cry while attempting to urinate.
In straining to urinate he may even prolapsed his rectum. This could be confused with constipation.
There may be drops of bloody urine, or crystals on the hairs around the prepuce (penis shaft). Palpation (feeling) of the penis may reveal significant pain, distention and/or swelling.
If the urethra has ruptured, the abdomen may be swollen (known as water belly) and the goat may lose its appetite and become depressed.

Treatment:

If urine flow is completely blocked, consult a veterinarian immediately. Surgical removal of the urethral process may provide beneficial if the blockage is at or near the end of the penis.
If obstruction of urine flow is not complete (animal still passing small amounts of urine) you may try withholding feed for 24 hours in conjunction with oral dosing of ammonium chloride (0.20-0.33 g/kg body weight) (see below). This may acidify the urine and help dissolve the stones. Dosing should be continued daily (you can resume feeding) for at least 1 week due to the probable presence of multiple stones in the bladder. I would also administer E Z P herbal formula
Mixing Instructions for Ammonium Chloride Solution (Oral Drench Treatment)
For a mixture of 0.26 grams of NH4Cl per kg of body weight

If the goat weighs this much: Give the goat orally 40 CC of the following mixture
30 lbs 0.78 lbs of NH4Cl mixed with one gallon of water
45 lbs 1.17 lbs of NH4Cl mixed with one gallon of water
60 lbs 1.56 lbs of NH4Cl mixed with one gallon of water
Caution: Ammonia toxicity can a potential problem, however the oral dosing of NH4Cl to treat urinary calculi is a desperation effort. Therefore, the risk of ammonia complications may be tolerable in light of impending death if urine flow is not reestablished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts