The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. We are newer users of red cell. Just haven’t needed it really.
We have a goat we have been giving red cell to. He has never had super bright pink eyelids to begin with. Worm counts are low. But he is older and has started to need more supplements and just more feed management cause he’s been a bit less himself because of arthritis. So we’ve been supplementing him with replamin, zinc citrate etc. Giving him boosts when he needs it.

We started dosing him for a week on red cell but he’s not got bright pink eyelids yet. Should we continue to give him red cell for longer than a wk every day? I usually give a dose a day for a week then once a week thereafter. But I think he might need more than that.

Is it ok to dose every day for over a week for loading dose?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I tend to err on the side of caution, so I would not give every day for over a week. You probably won’t see an improvement with anemia for a couple more weeks. It takes a lot of time for their red blood cells to build up. As long as his worms counts are low, and he doesn’t have any other issues that would cause his anemia, he should be fine with your normal protocol. Also, check for any external parasites. They can cause anemia as well.

Keep in mind that if he’s a goat that has never had deep red or pink eye membranes all his life, then there’s no reason to try to boost his iron if there isn’t an issue. Some goats are just naturally lighter and are healthy.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thank you Carlie. I didn’t give him more past the week of dosing. But I will probably dose him once a wk just for a boost for a month or so.

That is good to know. I didn’t realize you can overdose on it. So thank you for letting me know that!

Yeah he’s just always been lighter colored in eyelids. But since we’ve been giving him the stuff we are giving him right now he does seem to be bouncing back. His coat is getting softer. And overall it seems to be helping him. I think the zinc is really helping him too.

Hope all is going well with your babies! May will be a busy month for you it sounds like!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question about red cell.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That’s great! Sounds like you’re on the right track. We’ve been wanting to supplement with more zinc this year. Seems to be the new copper deficiency lol.

Hope all is well with you too! We have about 9 more does kidding from now through the next couple weeks. It’s going to get really busy really fast lol.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I think the zinc is working. Wow you will be busy with your kiddings this month! Congrats on your newest babies. Yep all is well here. Was around 90 here today. So looking forward to cooler weather next wk!

We caught a bee swarm on our property today! Very glad for more bees!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts