Red Cell Dose

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by groovyoldlady, Nov 29, 2015.

1. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Our little Miss Kitka is still looking moderately anemic after worming. She's also not growing well. I bought some Red Cell to try on her, but I have no idea how much to give or for how long.

She's a shrimpy little 20 pound Nigerian doe: 7 and 1/2 months old.

Her eyelids are pale, but not white. Fecals look clean.

She eats 16% protein goat grain, a wee bit of BOSS, and some Calf Manna twice a day. Plus all the grass hay she can scarf down. She's had a BOSe shot. She also gets unshelled peanuts twice a day for snacks. (just 2-3 each time)

Good appetite and reasonably lively disposition, though she's definitely the lowest goat on the totem pole. We feed her separately to make sure she gets plenty.

So...How much Red cell for how long?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

6cc per 100 lbs.

3. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Awesome. Just once? Or daily for a while? And I'm figuring that dose at 1.2 cc for my little Kitty-Bit, right?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Daily for 5 days. Then once a week until better.

5. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
  6. Plan on giving it to her for at least a month...they rebuild the red cells slowly. Remember when you might have been anemic? You likely didn't recover overnite. Give her time and good care and she'll do fine. :p

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. thegoatgirl

thegoatgirl Alpine Addict!

Nov 26, 2011
    Elgin, Texas
    One thing I read is that after a Red Cell dose, the doe will need more copper. I'm no expert though.

Also, wasn't there a thread on here awhile back about the Red Cell not working anywhere as well? Or perhaps it was something else, but definitely something you might want to look at.

Good luck! :)

9. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I will give her a copper bolus in January or February (gotta check my records). I've heard mixed reviews of the Red Cell product. But it seemed the best option considering what is available at my farm store. It smells pretty much like B vitamins, but she LOVES the taste. As a side note, she's really scarfing down the loose minerals I have out right now (this is prior to the red cell treatment), so she's getting copper there and in her grain. I may start giving her some chewable vitamin C as well. That helps with iron absorption in humans, so I assume it would in goats as well.

The only bad thing about the Red Cell is the size. I had to buy a gallon jug of the stuff! No one else needs "help" right now (Halleluiah!). If I only use it for Kitty, I may have this bottle for 10 years or more!

10. carrhouse

carrhouse Member

Feb 16, 2013
    We use Red Cell @ 6 cc per 100 lbs to treat anemia ... 1 dose daily til we see improvement - a FAMACHA 3. Red cell has copper in it. You can give CU bolus for long term if deficient

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Red cell does have copper in it. Here is a link with break down.

https://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1500004

Red cell does have iron in it needed to rebuild blood. I heard somewhere too that they changed something in it and some say it won't work, however, it is better than nothing, it does take longer to work depending on severity.
    There are iron shots out there to give, if you want to go that method instead.

12. carrhouse

carrhouse Member

Feb 16, 2013
    We usually see improvement within 3 days with Red Cell ... but of course you need to treat whatever is causing the anaemia in the first place

13. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Tom Colvin

Tom Colvin Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Should you give red cell during the goat worming process or after the worming process.? In others words, give wormer and redcell back to back or worm the goats now, 10 days & 10 days, then start the redcell.?

16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    You only give red cell if they are showing signs of anemia. Some dont need it after worming
    Some do.

17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    But then it doesn’t hurt to give it behind the Cydectin or Corrid? It must be you don’t give vitamin b complex with redcell.?

18. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Usually a day or two after the Corid or Cydectin treatments are finished. Not during.
    Yes you dont do both red cell & vit b complex at the same time!(thumbup)

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Actually some give red cell and b complex at the same time.

You just cannot give either during Corid treatment - all other wormers can be given at the same time as red cell and b complex.

toth boer goats likes this.