The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave around 10 cc shot under the skin to my 2 1/2 year old Nubian goat. Shot was on the neck, I had 12 cc loaded but the needle went through the other side and I backed the needle up and injected the shot..some came out of the hole that went through the other side so I'm thinking she only got around 10cc. This left a big swelling on her neck after the shot and I noticed this morning that the swelling has dropped down to her chest area just in front of her legs making it a little sore to walk. Other than that she seams a little more alert and had a lot more milk this morning. Her weight looks like it is going up as well. The swelling is warm to the touch. Will this absorb or will I now have to try and remove it out.

She is anemic due to worms and we have been worming her with ivomec. Last shot due in one week. Her weight is getting better. Thanks in advance!

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
You injected Red Cell?
I personally have never heard of anyone injecting it. I give it orally straight down the throat

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I seen t on here to give as a shot so that they get what they need quicker. Do I need to pull the red cell out?

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help, I just got off the phone with my vet and he said to hot pack it at least three times today for 10 to 15 minutes. And to see if we can get it to come to a head. He said he would probably lance it but even then that could bring complications.

I must be the most ignorant person on here. I was trying to help her and just made her 100% worse!

Thanks though for trying to help!

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so I'm going to go with this and show the results good or bad so no one else makes this mistake. Here are pictures of what I'm dealing with. Her weight is why I have been so desperate to try and help her, she is so skinny!

And thank you nchen7!

Attachments

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Goats are tougher than we give credit for, Im sure she will be fine...There is a Iron supplement that you do inject....You can gie her benadril to help with the reaction..15-20 cc

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes my vet talked about a stronger shot, he said red cell was not strong enough and you have to use a lot t make it work. Thanks for the benadril tip...can I feed her it pill form? You know me lol I might inject it!

Thanks Happy Bleats

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
High doses of B Complex can be used for a mild reaction to shots too. That you would want to inject.

I used to have an alpaca that mildly reacted to the CDT shot every year. My vet told me to give her a high dose of B Complex and it worked. So every year, I gave her a CDT shot and then a little later gave her 12cc of B Complex. She was around 150 lbs.

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Ksalvagno, I already give her vit. b in pill form so she is getting one pill every morning.

My next question is now that she has red cell breast implants...poor goat. Do I still give her red cell orally?

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
I would hold off until this is cleared up. Talk to your vet and see if doing the iron injections might be better for her. Depending on how anemic she is, she may need the shots.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
LOL..yes.you can give it pill form...I would crush it and add enough water to drench..unless you have a pill pusher ...
Red cell does work..it does take a lot. B 12 is also a support supplement to help rebuild red blood cells..here is an article from Tenesseemeatgoats on anemia....
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

also weight comes off a goat a whole lot faster than it goes back on..its alwasy best to go slow on increasing feed...you can add whole oats,beet bulp and BOSS to your calf manna along with alfalfa pellet for your own mix
6 parts whole oats
2 parts BOSS
2 parts Calf manna
1 part beet pulp
mix all together...then feed 1 part mix with 3 part alfalfa pellets...she might really enjoy this mix and all your goats can have it...go slowin making changes so their rumen adjusts..
(a part is what ever you use as a scoop, we use 3 pound coffee can)
we also feel alfalfa once a day and coastal free choice...

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This helps a lot Happy Bleats and we are due to get more grain any day now. I do not have a pill pusher but she loves strawberries. What is BOSS?

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds : )
if she will eat a strawberry..stick a pill in it :)

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I almost vomited when I poured the red cell out into a bowl to see how thick it was, I had no idea it was that thick. "Great scott she'll never absorb that" is what I thought. I am a brick head!

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
lol..no you are not a brick head!! we have all made our fair share of BooBoos..
it will absorb, but slowly...the body is a wonderful machine..just be sure she is acting well..if not then call the vet ASAP...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
first dont beat your self up at all over this, happybleats is right we have all goofed one way or another. when I first got goats I let them eat moldy hay, how they lived I have no idea. Happybleats feed mix is a good one as well. I LOVE calf manna for the ones that need help, I think it was the only thing that saved my old horse when I still had her, I tried the beet pulp for the first time with a buck I have and have to say I am happy with it. I think when she gets weight on her she is going to be a dang nice doe :)

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, that helps even though "Some people shouldn't have goats" keeps running through my head. ANYWAYS, we just got done holding the hot presses for 10 to 15 minutes and she liked it I thought we were going to have to hold her down for it but she just closed her eye and stood there for the most part. I think the water dripping scared her a little though. I was able to examine that the swelling goes from the side of her neck to down the front of her throat to the front legs and starting to move between the front legs to just under her girth. I am hoping that means it is just spreading out and being absorbed by her body. I will keep you posted, thanks again!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
FunnyNudders dont be hard on yourself , like mentioned everybody has made errors in there life time , your not alone honey :)
You learned from your mistake and probably a whole lot more to boot.
And your baby will be fine thank God ! Goats are much tougher then we give them credit for , thats so true !
Your a great goat mommy :hug:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts