Red Cell

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Goats Rock, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I have a question regarding the Iron Suppliment "Red Cell".
    It is actually homogenized liver and beef selenium. Isn't feeding it to goats
    a bad idea, as it comes from another ruminate?

The reason I ask is that "Mad Cow" or BSE disease was thought to be caused by feeding bone meal from ruminants to cattle to help with growth.

Wouldn't feeding goats the Red Cell be the same thing? Could it cause a similar disease? (Scrapie?) Just wondered.

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good question....I am not sure about the answer lol However my thought is the iron is a by product ..so the actual Liver isnt in it... I could be wrong
    (happened before lol) : )

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, I have to say good question as wll.

I have no answer for you but I am going to look into that forsure because I was told by my vet to give it so I am sure it is fine.

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If the vet said ok, that is good enough for me! We have to be careful because we also have dairy cows and the gov't
    is involved in all the farmers' lives, now!

5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I THINK I read that they have changed it and now it does not, but I have never used it so I never looked that much into it.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It's actually illegal to feed products containing ruminant protein to ruminants under federal law and has been since the 1990s when we had the 'mad cow' scare.

I wouldn't be terribly concern about using it but injectable iron has better absorption in anemic animals. Personally, I stick to products that are ruminant protein free because I participate in the Scrapie Eradication Program.

7. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    We actually still feed blood meal to our show heifers to increase growth. It's a pretty hush-hush thing in the feed mills. I couldn't tell you what species it derives from, as I don't much care to know anyhow. :puke: All I know is it works great for hair coat and growth.

8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The liver and beef in Red Cell has been homogenized. It's pretty sterile after that process.

9. kibrah

kibrah New Member

Feb 20, 2012
    There are nor animal products in Red Cell. I actually has it stated on the label. I think there used to be but that they changed the formula.