The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I got the advice a while ago on here to give my goat red cells for horses when she’s very pale and it helped her tremendously. I don’t remember how much I was told to give her though. Can anyone tell me?
I was boarding my goats and went to visit them after two weeks of not seeing them and it was not a pretty sight. There were very sick goats and my goats were underweight. We went and got them this morning and now they are hanging in my friends backyard until they can find a permanent place to board, lol! Anyways... I’m going to give my doe (and possibly her two kids) some red cells, beer, and maybe some probiotics and a drench? Is that too much? She’s not really sick but is kind of pale and I don’t want to take any chances. I’ll also deworm her with Cydectin. Can I give the kids some dark beer too?

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Red cell is 6 cc per 100 pounds once a day for a week then once a week until color improves
Probiotics and dark beer is fine for all.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Always watch famacha color. If you see color improves sooner then stop..some severe anemic goats need 2 weeks daily...go case by case

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. She has been on the Red Cells for three days and I dewormed her yesterday (I would have done it sooner but couldn’t get ahold of dewormer). She’s not deathly anemic but pale enough to keep me alert. I taught my friend how to check her FAMACHA score in case I can’t be there every day. I’ll keep an eye on her. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
How long can I keep her on red cells? She’s still anemic but is acting fine and was dewormed.
Normal protocol is once a day for a week then once a week until color improves. Sometimes doing daily longer is warranted. If there is no improvement after a weeks of treatment. Injectable iron maybe a better best. (Always with epinephrine or a large dose of Benadryl on the ready)

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 12 of 12 Posts