The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a horse die of red maple leaf poisoning. He's been here for years and never a problem. I'm concerned about his goat pals now. We have so much contradicting info, hoping someone could clear it up. First googling red maple pics gives inconsistent pics. So many type of maple my vet didn't even know. We have 6 tree samples out to be ID'd, still waiting. Also dept of Agg told us there is no threat in the fall from falling leaves, only green leaves that wilt like after a branch falls. If that's true someone would have had to feed my horse all of those leaves, there were no branches down. One tree in particular was full one night, temp went down to 26 and every single leaf was off by morning. Never saw anything like that before, but it's one of our samples out so we will know soon if that's the problem tree. Didn't even have a chance to clean those ones up, he got sick that morning. Tree isn't ours can't cut it down, it's not in pasture but close. No maple in pasture but some are close. We do keep pastures clean, but it's so windy lately. Goats have access to good hay 24/7 so they shouldn't be hungry, but I do see them eating leaves in general. Anyone 100% sure of when leaves including cherry are actually toxic? Any info would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
Maybe goathiker will pop on..she is pretty good with plants...I have read that stone fruit are the same way with the wilted leaves..pretty scary . I very sorry for your loss

·
Registered
625 Posts
Waiting to here the responses, sorry cannot help-- but we have 5 or 6 Maples on our property and they dropping leaves like crazy (arent the dropped leaves already dried out, that is why they are falling right?)- goats are out and about, have been since we got them about 4 and 6 weeks now.. they also have plenty of other browse (willows, berries, tall grasses) but they eat plenty of the fallen leaves too- no problems....
I think (just guessing ) it may have been the tree that lost all its leaves in one night, d/t sudden temp change, and the leaves didnt get a chance to dry out first....
(No idea what kinda Maples we have, leaves are pretty yellow and red and sticky sweet from the sap)....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.