The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am getting so tired of worrying about these goats. There is always something. I think I care about them too much! :) Anyway, I have a buck soon to be wether alpine goat young, almost 4 months old who is banded. His testicles are about 75% off just waiting for them to fall off. There was a bit of a wound there but i have been applying blu-Kote almost daily and it seems to be scabbing over and getting better. Thinking about cutting the testicles off tomorrow. So when we banded him we gave him a tetanus antitoxin shot in then skin behind his front leg. I felt the area there today at the site and all around it felt hard. This evening I took a closer look and it is red and raw near the site of injection. Somewhat raised but you have to lift some hair up to see it. He keeps licking it and does not like me touching it! Is this normal? I am a new goat owner and do not know how to handle this! what should I do? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Sometimes in giving shots we dont get the needle through all layers of skin...the medication gets trapped between the skin layers and can cause an abcess. No worries the body absorbed the medication so he is still covered....for the abcess, you can clean it well and put iodine on it to help dry it up..he will be fine. Make a note in his chart so later in years when you feel a scar you have records it was from his Tetnus antitoxin shot...It can also be caused by the medication itself...here is an article from Tenn. Meat Goats on treating it..

Injection Site Abscesses may occur when producers administer vaccines to goats. Indicative of the immune system's response to the vaccine, these large roundish lumps usually disappear over time and without human intervention. Because it is so frequently used, the overeating-tetanus vaccine CD/T is probably the product best known for causing injection-site abscesses. Using dirty needles or re-using the same needle can also cause injection site abscesses. Flush erupted abscesses with 7% iodine and pack the site daily with Triple Antibiotic Cream until healed. This is particularly important in hot climates where flies and other insects are prevalent.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
That's pretty common with Tetanus products. The single dose Tetanus toxoid does the same thing. It's a reaction to the horse serum that it's made from. Just spray it with Blu-cote or Iodine to dry it up. They usually don't scar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So happy to hear that this isn't anything to serious. I thought that's what it might be as I had been to that website before I posted. I will spray with blu-kote. Poor baby is going to be blue head to testicles. He is my favorite of my goats so I hope he pulls through this stage still as sweet and fun as he usually is! Thanks everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts