Red vs White heat lamp...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Cinder, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I was trying to post this in Goat Sense 101 but it wouldn't give me the option for a new post. So...

Are there any reasons to use a red heat lamp instead of a white heat lamp for new kids?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder, I prefer the red ones because they seem to give off more heat, plus they are easier on the eyes at night, more like a night light.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    because that is just a reference forum

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I like the red...same reasons as Lori...but if you are raising chicks it helps reduce picking

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I never used the red heat lamp....but that does make sense what Lori said ..... :wink:

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I use a creamic one.... No light, great heat, and they don't ever seem to burn out.
    They look like the lights only its a solid piec of ceramic with a coil in it.

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    As she kicks herself in the rear.... duh! Senior blond moment here...

Thanks for the answers... Lori - that was how we were thinking too. Everyone around here is sold out of the red ones (due to chick season). I have a white one but will keep looking for a red one.

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    We don't use them anymore but when we did we used red, as it is a darker color so it gave off more heat.

Good luck in your search, I know of a couple websites that could have them posted on there.

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa