The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rescued two overweight goats I believe are Mini Nubians. These goats were fed a 1.5 gallons of goat chow daily plus chips, popcorn, bread and other junk food. I have slowly cut them back to 1 cup each of goat chow and lots of high quality bermuda hay. The wether has lost weight nicely but the female still looks like she is bloated. Everyone keeps asking when is she due. She isn't pregnant because she's never been with a buck. Just a little concerned with her bloated look. She isn't as bloated as a month ago when I first got them. Should I continue the course I am on and hopefully she will drop more weight?
Thanks,
Lila

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
WOW!! a gallon and half a day!!!!... I would Continue to cut their feed until both are on qualty Hay only...Unless a goat is under weight, bred or lacating, there is no need for feed as long as you provide quality Hay/alfalfa..be sure to have free choice Loose minerals at all times...Good job in trimming them down..: )

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with Cathy on everything except the alfalfa. Unless a doe is growing, lactating, or heavy bred they do not need alfalfa hay. Once you get them down to a healthy weight, if you must feed alfalfa I would only give a handful or two.

·
8,177 Posts
Loose minerals are better. They can't lick enough off the blocks to do any good. Black Onyx is a good loose
mineral. I'm sure other folks on here have other names of good loose minerals.
That is great that you are getting those goats back into normal goat shape. It's too bad the previous owners
didn't understand how to feed livestock!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What kind of loose minerals? I have a salt block with trace minerals with them but that is all.
The problem with blocks is that the goats cannot lick enough to satisfy their need. Another problem is that they call them "trace" minerals for a reason - because there is just a trace of them in the block. Manna Pro, Cargill Onyx, Sweetlyx Meat Maker, Essential, ADM are all good quality loose minerals for goats. I know there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts