Refund Questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dragonfly farms, Mar 31, 2011.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I had a family come out 2 weeks ago and put a deposit down on two of my babies. They called me today saying that they can no longer purchase the goats because they are moving. My contract states:
    "The down payment is non refundable. If the buyer decides to back out of the purchase, their down payment will not be refunded."

I have never had to do this before and being a people pleaser I just want to send the money back. I am not sure what to do. What do you think?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it is non refundable... that is the deal..... but.. if you feel you want to give it back ...you can...it is up to you......but to me... we make rules to sell our goats....and that is why ....we make it non refunable ...because we have to hold that goat for someone.... that someone else may of wanted to purchase..... and we may of missed a sale because of it...if we refund their money....
    When someone puts a deposit down...it is a promise to buy and when they back out.... I feel ...they are breaking an agreement..... :wink:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That's a hard one...i've only had it happen once, but I never heard back from the people after they put a deposit down.

I would probably just keep the deposit and tell them it was in the contract. BUT, I would give them a year or some time frame to pick a different sale goat and use the deposit later if I felt like they were really nice people and would have a good home for one of my goats. But give a certain time frame to use it.

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I do agree with a deal is a deal. I am not going to call her back tonight I am still not sure how I feel besides annoyed.
    I also like the idea of holding the deposit for X amount of time. I also reviewed the contract with her before she gave the deposit. Arg!

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    And i'm assuming they are wanting their deposit back? How are they acting about it? I would be more inclined to work with someone who was being very polite and nice than have them demanding their money back, ya know?

6. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    They left me a message saying they cant take the goat and wanted to know if i would send them a check or if they needed to come back over and pick up the cash.

7. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Like Toth said, holding that goat by deposit means you may have missed a sale.
    At the least, you made no effort to try to sell that goat on the basis he was reserved. Which you will need to do now.
    Your time is money! You know they read the contract, by implying that they can come by or you will mail a check, they are attempting to get their money back knowing it's breaking contract and seeing if you will give in. And like Kylee said, if they were nice and said, "gee, we're really broke and little Timmy can't eat" it's one thing to feel bad about it, but to act like you don't know your own contract or like you didn't go over it with them would be annoying to me.
    That's just my opinion and I might be grumpy...
    Good luck.
    Caryn

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Well lets give it a shot. I was sure to quote the statement from the contract as well. Thank you for your help, I knew there would be others here who have dealt with this! My hubby also reminded me that this was the lady who was 45 min late and had rude children that kept climbing all over my wood piles and making a mess of things. I am feeling more sound in my decision. Time for bed! Thank you again!

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    In that case I wouldn't return the money. By the sounds of things, these folks could have just changed their minds and are using the excuse of moving to ask for the money back. If they wanted you to be sympathetic for them...they went about it all wrong. I vote to keep the deposit as stated in the contract.

I absolutely do not like buyers who bring their naughty kids out that don't listen and climb on stuff, chase the goats, etc. That just makes me so upset. Being late too...I would have been quite ticked off that day.

10. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I have somewhat of a callus viewpoint but, :) I say don't give the money back. They have the gall to request their money back, that is infuriating to me. lol They are basically trying to take charge of the situation by saying are you gonna send my money or do we have to come get it. IMO, they are trying to intimidate you by giving you options. Asky yourself am I going to let these people take charge of the situation? You are in charge, you followed your side of the agreement. I agree with KW Farms, how do you know they are moving, it could be an excuse because they changed their mind or don't have money to complete the purchase. Caryn is right in my opinion too, your time is money and this person is not showing respect for that.

Sorry I'm not trying to be pushy with you, I'm just irritated when people do this because I have gone through it. I can tell you this, if you let them have their money back technically your not holding up your end of the agreement. I don't see anything wrong with giveing them a year to take advantage of their deposit that they sent in, if you want to do that. But you have every right to keep the money. There are several diffrent ways you can look at this but with me, the thing that eats my hide the most is when people try to take advantage of me, my time, or my money. This person is doing that and I am certainly seeing some overlapping in those three catagories. ;)

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I had that happen once...and to me attitude is EVERYTHING. These people were obnoxious and actually ended up threatening me... OH BOY anyone who KNOWS me would NEVER do that! LMBO Needless to say they weren't getting their deposit back. Non refundable is non refundable.... and a bad attitude means...stick to your contract and keep it non refundable. :thumbup:

12. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    I totally agree with myfainters! My thoughts exactly only a bit shorter. :)

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm a people pleaser too, big time. But if they were aware that deposits were nonrefundable, yet ASKED you for their money back.. That's where I'd have to put my foot down. If they didn't ask and left it at that, that's a completely different story.

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    EXACTLY! :thumb:

15. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Man, I agree with everyone here. I wouldn't give the deposit back when they behave like that. You provided the contract. It was their responsibility to go over it thoroughly before agreeing to it. The fact that you went out of your way to go over it with them so that there would be nothing mis-interpreted was something you didn't need to do, but you did. If they knew that the deposit was non-refundable and then just blew it off by asking "Well we can't get them so how is it best to get a refund? Should we come get it or are you going to send it to us?"......That is just rude. It would make me very angry and I would simply restate that the deposit was non-refundable as stated in the contract they signed and leave it at that. If they wanted to keep after you at that point I would just ignore their phone calls. I mean, if they had called and said something like, "We can't buy the goats. I know the deposit is non-refundable, but we were wondering if there was any way to work something out?"....Then I would have felt the urge to talk to them and potentially refund them the deposit or part of it depending on the circumstances. But these people, it sounds like their attitude is very poor, and when you are dealing with me you reap what you sow. Lol.

16. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Thank you all for the support. It is exactly what I needed in this case! I let her know that deposit was non-refundable and quoted the condition from the contract. She did put down more than I required for a deposit and told her I would send her that money back since it was more than I asked. At that point she just said do you want me to come get it or mail it.

On a plus note, I sold one of the goats that she no longer wanted last night!

17. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Lol I am proud!!! Haha :hug: You did the right thing. Congradulations on selling the one goat! :hi5:

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ...you did the right thing and congrats on the new sale..... :thumb: :greengrin: