The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my doe had a really ruff kidding this morning it ended with the vet here to help me since was my first time having to assist. Anyway she now is not having anything to do with the little buck which is fine I'll bottle raise him. My question is how often should I be milking her to get her into a good lactation Is 2x a day enough or should I try for more? Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
58,205 Posts
2 times a day is fine. Have you given her some Banamine? I'm sure taking away the pain would help with bonding.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Since she delivered a single, she'll make enough for a single but even with me working full time, I milk as often as I can to ensure production mimics that of a kid nursing. I will milk before work, then again 8 hours later and again 4 hours later and again before bedtime...I did this with my doe who had a stillbirth 2 years ago and she kept right up with production and once she was established with the amount I was taking, I went to twice a day milking at 3 weeks fresh. When nursing kids, a doe never has a full udder because the kids nurse often for short periods of time... at least during their first 2-3 weeks then they start on solids and nurse less but for longer periods.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks I've been milking her every time he eats just because I need the milk to feed him so that worked out nice, Ill continue with that for the first few weeks.
I tried the Banamine she seem much more comfortable but she still wont have anything to do with him and he is very weak from the difficult birth so I'm just going to bottle him I think it's in his best interest even though I'd prefer her to raise him Thanks so much

1 - 4 of 4 Posts