The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm getting into the oberhasli dairy breed of goat. I will be getting 2 doelings come December or January that will come with registration papers. I have an oberhasli buck, but no registration. Is there any way to get him registered? I know he is pure oberhasli. Someone stated that perhaps someone comes out and will take a look at them, and possibly be registered from there. Does anyone have experience with this. I have an oberhasli/alpine cross that won't be registered that I'm keeping out of my current herd, so I will have some non registered stock still, but I would like to have registered kids.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if you can register bucks as NOA.. I'll go check... I'm assuming that the doelings will be registered with ADGA... but I think even if he gets registered as NOA the kids still wouldn't be able to be registered as purebred... you can register kids with only one registered parent as recorded grade..

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you were meaning register as NOA (Native on Appearance) by having someone come look at him? My understanding is that that option is for does only. Rules for bucks are more strict.
Well I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out. His mother and father came from the same farm.. I will look into the NOA:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even if he looks it, you cant full or pure blood register a buck or a doe for that matter without the signed application from the previous owner. The best you can do is register him experimental.
Bummer!! Perhaps Charlie will become a wether, and I will get a different registered oberhasli buck. I wanted to keep him intact because he is a sweet, stinky, but sweet:) Maybe I will end up not worrying about registration for a few years, and when I decide to breed some of his daughters spring for a new ober buck.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remember, his daughters can't be registered as pure if he's not registered. They'd be grades or experimental.
Well, I have 1 of 2 options. I could get an unrelated buckling registered buckling in March or so, and then use him, and wether Charlie. Or I can use Charlie for a couple years, and then the year I want to start keeping does, I can then get a registered buckling. I may just end up wethering Charlie if I go the 1st route:) I guess time will tell what I'm going to do.

·
1,524 Posts
ADGA will not register grade bucks. As mentioned you need to have either a signed reg application from the breeder or a signed transfer of ownership from the last recorded owner.

If you use him on your registered does, the doelings can be registered NOA Oberhasli but that defeats the purpose of having registered stock.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just curious, but can I ask why you decided against mini Oberhasli's? just curious, I do know from practicing milking our Oberhasli doe, the size is a little easier (for newbies like us) to milk....
We happen to have a little registered Nigerian buckling enroute, so will try going that route if the coloration turns out correct....(easier to place the kids I am hoping)...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
It's a difficult decision. I've seen some gorgeous goats that are excellent milkers and I've passed them by. No matter how much I've wanted them. I know I'd love them just the same but I've always said I want registered stock. Then I play what if....what if I get unregistered and the throw a gorgeous goat that I want to keep....and then another....and soon I have a herd of unregistered goats and I'm kicking myself because we can't show them and then we've decreased our market because registered can be sold unregistered if need be but not the other way around.

This is just me of course, talking out loud in the case it might help you any. :)

If you were breeding mini Oberhasli, would the buck need to be registered adga? The offspring couldn't be adga.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just curious, but can I ask why you decided against mini Oberhasli's? just curious, I do know from practicing milking our Oberhasli doe, the size is a little easier (for newbies like us) to milk.... We happen to have a little registered Nigerian buckling enroute, so will try going that route if the coloration turns out correct....(easier to place the kids I am hoping)...
A couple reasons actually. 1st I do milk my goats, and I would rather have too much milk than just enough. I would rather get more then a quart or so in one milking. I have kinders now and I just desire to get more milk in 1 milking.

2) the teat size. I started out milking with kinders, but for a beginner I think it's good I started smaller, but can't wait to milk something that has bigger teats.

3) getting into the mini oberhasli's (oberians) is tough, since you technically have to have the correct coloring etc... and as far as I understand you really can't get anything registered until a 3rd generation...

4) straight oberhasli's are a rarer breed, and the wethers, and even the buck I have are far better mannered than any of my other herd, they are quiet, and I love their color, and markings.

I do have an Alpine/oberhasli cross that I will be keeping no matter what. She is an absolute sweet heart...:) I might experiment later with mini's but I would like to start a herd of just straight obers:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a difficult decision. I've seen some gorgeous goats that are excellent milkers and I've passed them by. No matter how much I've wanted them. I know I'd love them just the same but I've always said I want registered stock. Then I play what if....what if I get unregistered and the throw a gorgeous goat that I want to keep....and then another....and soon I have a herd of unregistered goats and I'm kicking myself because we can't show them and then we've decreased our market because registered can be sold unregistered if need be but not the other way around. This is just me of course, talking out loud in the case it might help you any. :) If you were breeding mini Oberhasli, would the buck need to be registered adga? The offspring couldn't be adga.
Yep, it is a hard decision. If Charlie stays his sweet self as he gets older that would be a big + for me. I am going to see if I can get a hold of a few people to see if maybe registration is possible... I know where his parents came from, so she may be able to help.

Also from my understanding at least here 4H and FFA show unregistered stock all the time... Not sure how that works, but I was kinda surprised.

Also mini oberhasli's at the 3rd generation can be registered as experimental, it's not until the 6 generation they can be registered with the ADGA, and you have to have the correct coloring etc... That is what I learned...

·
Registered
637 Posts
A couple reasons actually. 1st I do milk my goats, and I would rather have too much milk than just enough. I would rather get more then a quart or so in one milking. I have kinders now and I just desire to get more milk in 1 milking.

2) the teat size. I started out milking with kinders, but for a beginner I think it's good I started smaller, but can't wait to milk something that has bigger teats.

3) getting into the mini oberhasli's (oberians) is tough, since you technically have to have the correct coloring etc... and as far as I understand you really can't get anything registered until a 3rd generation...

4) straight oberhasli's are a rarer breed, and the wethers, and even the buck I have are far better mannered than any of my other herd, they are quiet, and I love their color, and markings.

I do have an Alpine/oberhasli cross that I will be keeping no matter what. She is an absolute sweet heart...:) I might experiment later with mini's but I would like to start a herd of just straight obers:)
I agree-- we just happened to get a doe in milk and will probably dry her up soon, but so far are really enjoying the milk (its so handy)-- just happened that the random CL ad we checked out was a Dairy of all Oberhaslis... (and ended up taking home 3 !) ...am really liking them even the mellow wether they threw in for free...(wasnt sure if that was going to be too much but he is such an easy keeper)...

Interesting about not registering til 6th generation ... but hey I guess if I want to utilize that Nigerian buck, it gives me time to work on the coloring...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Also mini oberhasli's at the 3rd generation can be registered as experimental, it's not until the 6 generation they can be registered with the ADGA, and you have to have the correct coloring etc... That is what I learned...
The Minature dairy goat association rules are a little different, mainly you need to start with a registered Nigerian Buck and a standard dairy doe, and the first generation can be registered as experimental....(Is that considered "registered" even if it is just experimental?)....

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
You can't register any minis with ADGA. They will not register anything mixed with Nigerian. Neither will AGS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts