The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I got the chance to buy some registered boer nannies should I take them, for 110

image-1967990715.jpg

That is one of the pics, I don have very much info yet, just pondering for now.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That is something you are going to have to decide - what is that saying? If it seems too good to be true, it usually is? In all seriousness, I would expect a higher price for quality, healthy, disease-free registered Boer does, but maybe the owner is just not into all of that. On the other hand, maybe he knows there is a problem with these does and is trying to unload them. I would give them a very close once over before I said yay or nay, but I'm also a little on the paranoid side. :laugh:

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I got the chance to buy some registered boer nannies should I take them, for 110

View attachment 38697

That is one of the pics, I don have very much info yet, just pondering for now.
Depends on what you want to do with them- those papers don't add much weight when they go across the scale.

There are an awful lot new goat breeders and an awful lot of ok-quality registered goats in our area (and I'm more than willing to admit that mine fall into this category). They have nice pedigrees, but most likely don't have the conformation to be competitive in open shows, which kind of negates the point of having papers on them in the first place (I like having my delusions of grandeur though, and it is fun to see how each generation improves with successfully better quality bucks). There are also several nice, well-known registered herds in this area too, but you're not going to see their goats going for $110.

The girls in the picture didnt look terrible from what I could tell- they looked like they could use a few more groceries, but otherwise not bad. Bred to the right buck they could produce some nice 4-H kids, but that market is pretty saturated too. I wouldn't buy them for the papers, but $110 isn't a bad price for a commercial doe depending on age, health, breeding soundness, etc.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I'm on the cautious side too, but some people, like myself, will just need to sell a bunch off, and we sell them cheap so they'll go quick. Or when people have wet buckling sales (just born bucks, the faster you come and get them the cheaper they are).
I'd gather more info before making the decision.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I agree, cheap is usually not a good sign. However, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are buying goats just to add to your herd, without a care for quality or possible health issues, they're cheap, go for it, but you may encounter some vet bills and trips to your local goat medicine provider. But if you want a great healthy herd, I would either pass or look with real scrutiny at these animals.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It says it is a herd dispersal, but im like you all, its funny, we complain about having to pay to much, then when some come along, we are all like, I dont know something has to be wrong with it. I have my comercial does, and I wouldnt let them go for a penny less than 150 ea, let alone 110, i will get more info and let you all know

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I say get them tested, and go for it! They may not be show does but bred to the right buck their offspring could be. And with papers? If they pass their cae and cl test, grab them!

·
14,760 Posts
I agree, I'd be leary, but in the picture they look to be fine. Make sure there are no lumps, bumps, etc. feet are good, good teats, and bites. Check eyelids, and check for signs of lice.
I've seen some cheap registered goats from time to time. Mostly people that just want to part with them and want them gone quickly, or people that really didn't know much about registered goats.

But of course it also depends on what you want them for. If you are wanting show goats, and they aren't real correct,etc. then I'd be leary. You might be able to get some nice babies out of them for showing with the right buck.
I'd make sure the seller has them in their name/papers are up to date with ABGA or USBGA. I'd be leary of IBGA. The seller has to be the one that does all the paperwork to get those goats into ABGA. So if they are IBGA registered for some reason, then make sure the seller fills out all proper paperwork and you send it off to ABGA before you buy, otherwise, I'd not go for it.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
They look like decent does. Sometimes when people want to move an animal quickly they will price them lower, if you have them tested and completely look over them good to make sure you can't see any bumps they should be a nice set of does.

Last fall I got my senior Saanen buck for $50.... I was looking and looking for a buck, kept seeing this ad for a registered Saanen buck $100, no pic on the ad and I kept thinking he must not be a very good goat for $100. So since I couldn't find anything else, I finally called the guy. Turns out this buck was the son to a buck that I have some semen from in my tank, when I got the semen from the bucks breeder he said he was the best buck he ever bred, so that sounded good. lol This guys dam was also a really nice doe from some good bloodlines. The guy said he was only selling him because he had gotten a new buck (this one gave him 5 doe kids and 1 buck kid, so he kept all of his daughters), he didn't want to pen the bucks together and didn't have a pen with a shed for this one. With winter coming soon he had to move him out. The only catch to the whole deal, the buck was in Iowa and I am in Oklahoma... luckily he was in far southwestern Iowa and not too far away lol so the guy said if we drove all the way up there to get him he would let me have him for $50! Of course by the time you add in fuel he was probably closer to a $200-$250 buck, but I think he was a good buy ;)

I can say almost every goat that I have really paid for has turned out to be not so good and every goat that I got fairly cheap have been the best goats ever.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I told you guys that I would get back to you on what information I got and I got squat, so Id say something was fishy, oh well! Maby next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts