registering boers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Maggie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    We are thinking about purchasing a couple boers that are registered purebred. They are 99.9% Boer. My question is, if we bred them to a 100% buck, can we registerd them as fullbloods? Or will they only be eligible for american purebred?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It will make them american purebreds....

A FB is 100% boer ........and a purebred is... a high percentage....boer.....and not 100% ...in which.... was started with.... for example.... a nubian bred to a FB boer buck.... which started the kids as 50% registered...and that offspring...will have 75%..kids.. and so on.... until you achieve Purebred Status.... if bred to... a FB registered buck... :wink: :thumb:

3. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Ok. And I did mean to say can we register the offspring(of the does we'd be buying) as fullbloods. I guess I was just typing too fast and didn't re-read what I wrote!
    I guess I was only wondering because AGBA says "Does between 93.7 percent up to 99.9 percent are eligible for an American Purebred registration." The kids would technically be 99.95, so I am guessing would still fall into the purebred classification?

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah a percentage boer could be PB, but never FB.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep....a Registered Purebred... can never be 100% Registered FB boer.... because the Doe... that originally was bred to the FB registered buck... started out... being another breed of goat like nubian...spanish....fainter...ect...... bred to a FB registered boer buck..... the original Doe that started it all....also didn't have to be registered... and it doesn't matter... if you breed a FB unregistered Doe .....to A registered FB buck ...their offspring ....will still start out as 50% registered..and never will be FB registered....even though.... she is FB boer....... :( the only way... the offspring will be FB Registered.... is ..for a FB Registered boer buck to breed a FB registered Boer Doe..... :hug:

Your offspring... will always be... high Purebred Registered status....never Registered FB's...hope that makes sense... no matter how many times bred... :wink:

6. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    ^If I was to breed my unregistered does to a registered fullblood buck, could the offspring be registered percentage then?

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.... their offspring will start out as 50%... then.. as you continue and breed their offspring .......75% to 88% to 97% ect Purebred Status.... :wink: :thumb:

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If you breed unregistered does to a FB buck, you can only register doelings as 50%. You can't register the bucklings.
    We have a registered buck, 1 registered doe, and 4 unregistered does. When 2 of our unregistered does kidded this past summer, one had a gorgeous buckling, the other had a buckling and a doeling. Couldn't get papers for the bucks, but I have paperwork to send in for my doeling.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... any Doelings ...can be registered ...no matter what.. percentage they are.... the bucks are a different story.... below.... is from the ABGA site ...on their rights and status....for the percentage they are...

This is from ABGA under "American Percentage"...

* Bucks between 50 percent up to 96.7 are eligible for a record of pedigree.
    * Bucks between 50 percent up to 96.7 can not produce registered offspring.
    * Bucks between 50 percent up to 96.7 can not show under the ABGA sanctioned show program.

And this is the American Purebred Status...with ABGA

* Bucks between 96.8 percent up to 99.9 are eligible for American Purebred registration.
    * Bucks from the American Purebred classification are eligible to produce registered offspring.
    * Bucks between 96.8 percent up to 99.9 are eligible to show in Fullblood classes under the ABGA sanctioned show program.