The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the registered goat realm, and I have quickly discovered that it is NOTHING like registered dogs! lol! It all seems so difficult! :eek: My question: I have a Nigerian dwarf, registered, but I've never transferred her to my name. She was bred when I got her, and is due to kid within the next few weeks. Can I register her babies without her being in my name? And can I let the babies new owners register them or do I have to register them before I sell them? And do I have to tattoo the babies before selling also? Any input would be most appreciated! I'm not understanding this!! lol

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I DO have the mama's papers, I just haven't sent them in to do a name transfer.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well first you need to get her transfered to your name, you will need a service memo for the doe,which should be in the paper work, so that the kids can be registered. when the kids are born you fill out the application for registration and there is a transfer sectin that you fill out. you give the filled registration application to the buyer, and the buyer sends it in.

·
1,524 Posts
For you to register the kids, the dam will have to be in your name. If you sell the kids without registering them, like with just the reg application, your name will need to be on the transfer which means the dam will have to be in your name.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You do need to tattoo them before they leave. This way the buyer doesn't have to do it and you don't have to worry about the goat not being tattoo'd. As the one filling out the app it is your responsibility to make sure that the goat has all identifying marks (tattoo's/eartags/etc) that the app says the goat has. I have even bought older kids (almost yearlings) who were not tattoo'd yet and had the seller tattoo them for be before I took the goat home.

For dairy goats all they need to have are tattoo's. Some meat goats are ear tagged and breeders will put the tag number on the papers as another means of identifying the animal easily in the pasture. You can microchip them but they still have to be tattoo'd.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks! Now, when I go to tattoo, do I have to have a registered herd name? That's what I was understanding from the ADGA website. Is that correct?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Send in the mother's papers now - especially if it is all signed and ready to go. ADGA will transfer these over to you without needing to be a member yet.

Once you get them back it will be much easier to register the kids.

Ok thanks! Now, when I go to tattoo, do I have to have a registered herd name? That's what I was understanding from the ADGA website. Is that correct?
You can sign up for ADGA at the same time, although if you can wait until Sept 1, the membership will last until Dec 31 2014. When you sign up with ADGA they will give you a tattoo sequence. You can get a herd name if you would like. It will give your kids a unique way to start their name. Otherwise your kids will start with "The" as the first part of their name. If you have a herd name in mind, it might be easier to select a tattoo seq matching your herd name.

I do recommend that you apply for a pin number (you will need a signature card on file, there is a form on the website) http://www.adga.org/index.php?optio...tion-number&catid=62:faqgeneralinfo&Itemid=86
if you plan on doing any online registration. It is much cheeper to register online, so it is worth it. This can be done at any point, but the sooner you do it the more kids you can register at the lower cost.

As for tattooing the kids before they leave. If they are kids you are selling for meat, it is worth it to put your herd sequence in so you don't need an ear tag. If you are selling for a show kid, they should be tattooed before they are registered, so most likely you will want to tattoo them before they leave.

Does that help?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
It helps me! :) sbaker, I was wondering the exact same things! I have a doe that is registered, but I need to transfer her to my name, but I hadn't been sure I actually needed to do that until now. This is very helpful; Cadence to the rescue again! :)

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I'd personally send the doe's papers and the kids applications in all together. First, get a herd name and tattoo signed up with ADGA. Next, send in the doe's paper and kid applications. The tattoos for the kids will be to your herd, but the herd name on the kid applications will be the breeder's herd name. You also will need a breeding memo from the buck owner that should go with the kids registration applications.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd personally send the doe's papers and the kids applications in all together.
Be careful, I have had multiple friends who have had ADGA loose the papers on the kids that way. Sometimes it works, but be sure to photocopy the service memo (you will need one for sure) and the kid's applications before you send the only copy.
It will not do much good to copy the doe's papers because she cannot be shown with a photocopy, but the service memo and the application are worth keeping a copy for in your records until you get the official papers.

The tattoos for the kids will be to your herd, but the herd name on the kid applications will be the breeder's herd name. You also will need a breeding memo from the buck owner that should go with the kids registration applications.
This is true. It is a little confusing, but the herdname designates who designed the breeding (the owner of the doe at service) and the tattoo is designed to indicate where the animal was born (your herd) for traceability

1 - 13 of 13 Posts