The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am really confused I have 2 ND does that where born from a registered dad unregistered mom but I think I read that they can be registered as American and then if I breed them with my registered buck there babies can also be registered as 3 quarters or something crazy like that am I correct?

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
No. Both parents have to be registered. Rules are different for ND's. Both parents must be registered for any ND's to be registrable.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yes, all other breeds they will accept, it really is one of my pet peeves that adga wont do that for nigerians. I have 4 grade does that i know are purebred back 3 generations at least and the only thing adga will do issue a certificate of identification.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that really stinks for the ND maybe someday (soon) thanks for the info I get so confused reading all this stuff lol

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
No, don't think ADGA will ever register grade Nigerians. The risk that they contain Pygmy blood is too great. ADGA only registers milk type breeds, Pygmies are a meat breed.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You can register them with the IDGR. International Dairy goat registry. It is not much of a credential BUT for my half-gallon + a day milker ND I am going this route as I can Milk test her and hopefully draw a better price on her dairy-power kids. I don't know of any IDGR shows, so you would need to really decide why you are doing it. Eventually, the purebred offspring could be used to make gen 1 minis under MDGA...but that's a lot of lineage to get a purebred to make a gen 1 out of...

My doe's sire was registered and I have his papers (Tempting Willows Joker out of Kaapio AcreS) So my doe is a 50% grade Nigerian IDGR. she will eligible fort he 30 day and 305 day milk test under IDGR.

Her buckling my friend kept because he's really nice is from my doe and a registered buck. He will be registered 75% Grade Nigerian and his kids will be American Nigerians under IDGR.

If anyone buys a doe out of him and breeds her to a registered buck, those kids can be registered purebred nigerian thourgh the IDGR. This will NOT transfer to NDGA, AGS or ADGA at this time, however, the MDGA would allow those IDGR purebreds to be used to make F1 minis....

I am registering for the milk test purposes only...you can see how much work it would be to get to use them anywhere else. It might help in some 4H situations too and is better than nothing. Perhaps if enough legitimate people register only their best goats through IDGR...the registrations would eventually transfer...but you can't expect it. It's cheap though...real cheap.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You can register them with the IDGR. International Dairy goat registry. It is not much of a credential BUT for my half-gallon + a day milker ND I am going this route as I can Milk test her and hopefully draw a better price on her dairy-power kids. I don't know of any IDGR shows, so you would need to really decide why you are doing it. Eventually, the purebred offspring could be used to make gen 1 minis under MDGA...but that's a lot of lineage to get a purebred to make a gen 1 out of...

My doe's sire was registered and I have his papers (Tempting Willows Joker out of Kaapio AcreS) So my doe is a 50% grade Nigerian IDGR. she will eligible fort he 30 day and 305 day milk test under IDGR.

Her buckling my friend kept because he's really nice is from my doe and a registered buck. He will be registered 75% Grade Nigerian and his kids will be American Nigerians under IDGR.

If anyone buys a doe out of him and breeds her to a registered buck, those kids can be registered purebred nigerian thourgh the IDGR. This will NOT transfer to NDGA, AGS or ADGA at this time, however, the MDGA would allow those IDGR purebreds to be used to make F1 minis....

I am registering for the milk test purposes only...you can see how much work it would be to get to use them anywhere else. It might help in some 4H situations too and is better than nothing. Perhaps if enough legitimate people register only their best goats through IDGR...the registrations would eventually transfer...but you can't expect it. It's cheap though...real cheap.
i just registered my grade nigerians with idga. i wanted some sort of registration for my grandson's nigerians. thank you for the info!!i got them 75% registered in about an hour, you can do it all online!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts