Registering my goaties...AGS, NDGA Question!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Aug 8, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok so I bought 4 registered does that were bred this spring. All kidded in June, so now I have their papers transfered in my name and i'd like to register their kids now. So I ask the lady I bought them from what her herd name is w/ AGS, she tells me, I send off the papers. I get a call from AGS that her herd name isn't reg. with AGS. So now apparently her herd name is reg. with NDGA....sooooo my question is, Can I register the kids with Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association when all the parents are registered with AGS??? Because the lady has a herd name only with NDGA. I emailed NDGA and ADGA to see/make sure if she has herd names with them, but haven't gotten a response yet. So i'm not sure if I should send papers off to NDGA or ???

I was thinking maybe NDGA needs copies of the AGS papers, but i'm not sure. Also, if you have a goat registered with ADGA or NDGA can you send a copy of those papers and register the goats with AGS? I'm trying to keep all my goats registered with AGs so I don't have to go through a hassel when I go to get everyone registered.

What are your thoughts? Has this happened to anyone...what was the outcome?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the goats are NDGA registered then you cant registere them with AGS or ADGA

But if the parents are AGS registered you can register with AGS, ADGA and NDGA

I hope that helps.

Not sure how a herd name comes into play ---- were they born at her farm?

3. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks that helps...

She owned the buck and the does when they were bred. I bought them 2 months before they were due. So now that they kidded at our farm, her herd name is on them because she was the owner of doe at time of breeding. The problem is all her goats are registered with AGS only, but she is a member of NDGA only. So i'm a little confused. Hope that makes sense.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That sounds like a headache and a half! If the dams and sires are AGS and her herd name isn't....you may be able to use your herd name on the kids with the proper paperwork, I haven't checked my member handbook yet with either but I'm sure theres a way around this predicament :roll:

Ok...heres what I got from AGS handbook

"When application for registration is submitted to the office for processing and the sold to line is filled in along with date of sale, NO bill of sale (transfer) is required as the information on the application will be used to process the transfer. A transfer fee will still be charged in this situation in addition to the registration fee. If the animal is prenatal (meaning you purchased a bred doe and the kids were born on your property) there is no transfer fee as you are the owner when the kid is born)

There may be an issue if the breeder you bought from never had the does transfered into her name before she sold them to you.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would contact AGS and tell them -- they may have you register them in your herd name but I wouldnt know for sure.

Best to ask

6. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Liz:I sure hope so!! I REALLY want to get these guys registered! A couple I kept as upcoming sires so i'm really hoping this goes smoothly!!

Stacey: That's what I was thinking...waiting for replies and then I'll have to see if I can go that route.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Oooo what a prediciment to be in. Normally when there's no herdname registered the kids all take 'The' as the herdname.

Is it not possible to have her register a herdname with the AGS. Herdnames are $10 but I'm not sure if she'd have to join or if she could bypass that part just to get the herdname registered.

You can always have one parent AGS or ADGA and register the kids with the other registries. Example: Blessing is AGS, her kids are sired by Cruiser who is ADGA, AGS & NDGA. I can register her triplets with all 3 registries. AGS will be a simple application. ADGA and NDGA require a photo copy of Blessing's AGS in order to register her kids. Simple and works well. I've used that method many times.

In your position. I would contact the breeder, see if she's willing to work with you and get a herdname registered. Its better for you if she does. If not you really need to see what the registry says. Talk to Amy at AGS and see what she says. I hope she can work with you on this.

Otherwise I can't see how the kids can be registered. Let us know what you find out and good luck!

8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Alright, thanks. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what we can find out. This is more than I thought would happen. Really wish the lady had a herd name with AGS....grrrr. We will see how this goes and i'll keep you updated!

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You know, the more I think about it, I really believe "The" will be the option they will mention to you. You did get memos for the breedings right?

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Forgive me if I am being slow...what is "The"?? I might have just missed something, as usual :doh: :D Yes, I got breeding memos for all the does.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you use the word "the" in front of the goats name

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh, ha, gotcha! Thanks! :D

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

not true. i've sent in copies of my ndga papers to get the registration done in AGS and there wasn't any problem.

the herd name thing could be a big issue though

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes "The" is used as the herdname. So for example if I had kids needing to be registered and the breeder didn't have a herdname I could use The SGM S Hallelujah instead of just SGM S Hallelujah. See what I mean?

If you did not get breeding memos from the breeder you will never be able to register those kids. If you don't have breeding memos then you HAVE to get them. No registry will accept those kids without the memo as proof of the sire.

AGS does not take NDGA papers. I don't know how you could have registered anything with the AGS with NDGA photo copies. Are you sure you don't have it backwards? NDGA does take both AGS & ADGA photo copies. AGS takes ADGA and ADGA takes AGS but ADGA and AGS do not take NDGA.

Anyway, you need to talk to the registry if you do have memos and are ready to register kids. If you don't have memos you need to talk to the breeder ASAP to get them.

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have all the memos for the breedings so no problem there. Yeah, going to see what I can find out today, if I get a chance. Hopefullly this will go smoothly and won't turn into a tiring thing. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, advice, and guidance...It really helps!

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Ok good! Good luck! I think you'll be fine, but its best to double check with them.

17. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    UPDATE!!!

Alright guys. Talked with an AGS person today. They are letting me buy a herd name for the lady I bought the preggy does from, with AGS so I can register my kiddies, it's only $10 so no problem there, I actually overpaid so I had leftover money I had already sent in so this works great!

So all my little guys will be registered EASILY!! And with AGS :leap: , i'm sooooo happy! So now all the registered goats in my herd are reg. with AGS so sending in paperwork next year for the spring kids will be really easy!

18. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    :stars: Yeah, excellent news! Congratulations!!!

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wonderful, I was thinking the same thing but didnt want to add to the confusion with the suggestion.

I dont know how you got your NDGA goats registered with AGS unless they had AGS registered parents.

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats great news! Not such a headache anymore either :greengrin: