registering

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by PotterWatch, Mar 4, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Can someone give me a break down of how to register a goat? If someone buys a kid from me, but I haven't registered the kid, what do they need from me to get that done. If I choose to register a kid, how do I do that? I really have no idea at this point, so a simple explanation would do me a world of good. Thanks!

*My does are registered from what I was told, but I haven't yet received their papers from the previous owner.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first thing is to get the registration right away...
    Can I ask .........why you didn't get the registration when you picked up the goaties?
    Seems odd...... :scratch: If they were sold as registered animals or registerable animals...the seller has to give you the paperwork at the time of the sale.....

If you finally get the paperwork on the does....then you must get a service memo of the sire of the kids....I am assuming that you do not own the buck....right?.....When you have all of that...then you have to register them into your name....when you get the paperwork in your name ...from the registry then.....you get a registration form and fill it out for the kids....

I hope you can get the registration papers for your does you bought and not being cheated out of them...... :worried:

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    The previous owner emailed me back today and said that she is getting the papers in the mail tomorrow, she was waiting for my address. As to why we didn't get them when we picked them up, I'm not certain. I think perhaps the one doeling wasn't registered to her at that point and she was waiting for those papers or something like that. I do believe her when she says she is sending the papers. She appears to be reputable and was very helpful.

So, I need to get a membership with a dairy goat assoc. and have my own herdname and all that? Is there more than one association? I assume I would need to have a membership with whichever association my does are registered with...?

How much does registering and transferring and all of that cost?

Thanks for the help!

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when you get the registration papers... it should say what association they are registered with....you don't have to be a member ...but if you are.... it does make registering your goaties and other things cheaper........... :greengrin:

If the buck is owned by the seller... then you will need to get a "service memo" to be able to register the kiddo's.... :wink:

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Thanks so much for the help! I emailed the previous owner again and asked her about a service memo since the sire does belong to her. I'm sure it will all get sorted out (I don't THINK I'm being too optomistic). Definitely a learning experience for me.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your very welcome.....good luck with everything......... :hug: :greengrin:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once you get your does paperwork, you can then transfer them into your name. They will keep the herdname that they were born into.

In order to register ANY kids from these does, you will need to have a herd name and a tattoo registered with the organization, it would be a wise choice to become a member before you register/transfer.....it is alot cheaper in the long run as member prices are generally lower for any transactions.

Example....if they are registered with ADGA, you will need as Toth said, a service memo and a bill of sale proving that you are the owner to which they are being transfered to.

Kids born cannot be registered unless you have a herd name and a tattoo with the registry....once you get these then all you need is the service memo and then you can apply for their registration.

I hope it wasn't too confusing for you :?

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    How long do you have to get the transfers done?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok everyone gave good advise BUT unless the transfer slip dates the date of sale of your does as BEFORE you bred them, they will have the previous owners herdname and tattoo but your birth number.

Best to contact the previous owner and ask her ot make sure the transfer/date of sale is BEFORE the date on the breeding memo. Very important if you want the kids born from your new does to be in your herd name (and to do that follow the advise given).

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    So if my does don't have tattoos, does that mean there is no way they are registered? Where would I look for the tattoos to see if they have them? I read something about the tail web, but is that just the underside of their tail? How visible should it be?

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pretty visiable.

You really need to ask the seller these questions because they will have the answers

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Some breeders don't tattoo UNLESS they know the goat will be in a show ring, so you may not find a tat.

And Stacey made a very good point...have the transfer slip dated before the breed dates on the service memo.

13. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Many breeders who don't show don't actually tattoo the goat. Doesn't matter, you can do it yourself if you want to show it. The tattoos purpose is identification and therefore required for paperwork.

What registry are you dealing with? First off you have to have the parent goat's papers, transfers to get them in your name and then blank applications for kids. All you need to do is fill out the required areas on the application for the kid. IE Name, DOB, # kids born, color, tattoos (your own tattoos), Sire, Dam, breeder (you), and if you sell it then the sold to section. Sign and give with kid at time of sale.