The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boers & Nubians
1,911 Posts
I agree. Although, so much of the wether stock industry is unregistered. When you get into breeding market goats, you either chose breeding stock, wether stock, or meat stock. If you get into wethers, you also have to choose between breeding for wethers and breeding for wether stock. (This is to me knowledge, what I have deciphered.) So if you want to breed simply for wethers, the stock has no need for registration. If you breed for wether stock, than you might need registration to get a specific animal's name out there.

Clear as mud?

·
15,136 Posts
You can have registered breeding animals as wether makers. But you need to decide which way you want to go, as the other said.
If you want to be able to show breeding does as well, then go with the best registered does you can get, and put them on a registered buck. Or, get some nice unregistered does, breed to a registered buck, so if you have any nice doe kids, you can register them as 50%.
That is what my kids started out doing. Most of their does are % does, and they have a few fullbloods/2 of breeding age. None are big, fancy, show goats, but they've sure held their own in the county fairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.