The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm looking at buying a few "whether style" bore does. they produce really good wethers in other words.
the persons not selling them with papers but they come from registered stock.
does this mean there's no way I can register them?

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
You would need the signed registrations from the owner. If they are not giving the registrations, then they are selling them as "unregistered".

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I agree. Although, so much of the wether stock industry is unregistered. When you get into breeding market goats, you either chose breeding stock, wether stock, or meat stock. If you get into wethers, you also have to choose between breeding for wethers and breeding for wether stock. (This is to me knowledge, what I have deciphered.) So if you want to breed simply for wethers, the stock has no need for registration. If you breed for wether stock, than you might need registration to get a specific animal's name out there.

Clear as mud?

·
14,760 Posts
You can have registered breeding animals as wether makers. But you need to decide which way you want to go, as the other said.
If you want to be able to show breeding does as well, then go with the best registered does you can get, and put them on a registered buck. Or, get some nice unregistered does, breed to a registered buck, so if you have any nice doe kids, you can register them as 50%.
That is what my kids started out doing. Most of their does are % does, and they have a few fullbloods/2 of breeding age. None are big, fancy, show goats, but they've sure held their own in the county fairs.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 reg 100%.
I'm going to be breed for whethers mostly but I just wanted any does that come out to be able to be registered. just because that's what I wanna do.
I do plan on breeding to a registered buck but I still wanted the does to be registered

1 - 7 of 7 Posts