The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thought crossed my mind today. If a person died, what would happen to all the goats registered under their name? I am more meaning something very unexpected. Like, if one gets hit by an out of control log truck (it has happened her in da UP). I think if someone were diagnosed with something terminal, they'd put those affairs in order before death actually happened.

What made me think of that? I was just scanning in some paperwork as per usual when it comes to paperwork, and my Dad asked me where I kept my files (so he could know). I showed him the binder where all the physical stuff lives, plus pointed out it was all on file. I'm a file storage junkie for every piece of paper I get from the AGS and ADGA. It goes on both my internal hard drive and also my external hard drive (which is not left hooked up to the computer unless it is directly being used, so it is not at risk of a virus eating it, if that happened). He really cares about the goats, so him having that information is important. He is kind of my backup. So if something happened to me, he'd be the one to take over.

So does the ADGA and AGS just say "hey, you're next of kin, here ya go!" and transfer the registrations? Or is the process a little more complicated? I'm hoping I don't keel over anytime soon! But I could trip over the hose tomorrow and hit a rock or something. Or have a rendezvous with the aforementioned log truck.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
I believe You can add anyone as a signer on your ADGA papers...just call ADGA and ask for the form to add a signature to your account..or as little bits said..add your dad to your account as co owner..Also a Will can state your desire to transfer ownership...

good question..and good to be prepared ;) Those log trucks can pop out of no where :p

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would assume that if a person didn't have anything on file with ADGA/AGS as far as another signer, if the living relatives called the office and let them know they would either A) take their word for it, or B) want them to send a copy of the death certificate as proof that the person really is dead and someone isn't just trying to get the goats in their name. They would then probably send a form for them to fill out showing who is now the owner of the goats with their signature, and they can add other signers at that time if need be.

It is always good to be prepared, you never know what will happen at any moment.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
I would call the registries that you use and ask them. Then do what you need to do so there is no problem. I'm with ADGA and AGS and my husband is also on the certificates so there won't be a problem.

·
2,203 Posts
This recently happened over my way. One of the 4H moms lost her husband this past spring. Her husband owned the bucks, she owned the does (cute huh?).

All the ADGA wanted was a death certificate being a formal registration, and offered a discount to her as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts