The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me the run down on how the whole process with getting into registered goats works? I apologize if it sounds stupid. I have only had barnyard mix but am getting a registered buckling in a couple weeks. I know eventually I will have to get a registered girl? And then what? Any help, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, assuming they are dairy goats, it's one of the few things about ADGA that is straightforward. It you breed your boy to a registered girl, they have an online form, you select a registered name for their offspring, fill out the sire, dam, birthdate, and some token appearance information and pay a small fee and you receive their certificate. If you register a herd name in advance ($15/year or $100 permanently, I believe), your herd name will appear as the beginning of each animal's registered name.

In my opinion registered goats are totally worth it because you can see the detailed lineage information, know your inbreeding percentages, and keep track of your lines in a more effective way than if you have unregistered animals. I have both registered and unregistered on my place, and my unregistered gals are still beloved, but if I could go back in time I would do all registered just because it appeals to the detail-oriented part of me!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I post a pic of the registration form of the parents of the buckling could u tell if it’s something that I can continue on? Like can I do as they do and register him and any future babies if they are both registered? I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions I just hate new things that I don’t understand

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I post a pic of the registration form of the parents of the buckling could u tell if it’s something that I can continue on? Like can I do as they do and register him and any future babies if they are both registered? I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions I just hate new things that I don’t understand

·
Super Moderator
58,203 Posts
I'm confused with your question. If both parents are registered, then the original owner should give you a properly filled out and signed form to register him. If he is already registered, then the original owner should give you the properly filled out and signed registration paper. Then you will want to join ADGA to continue registering offspring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I post a pic of the registration form of the parents of the buckling could u tell if it's something that I can continue on? Like can I do as they do and register him and any future babies if they are both registered? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions I just hate new things that I don't understand
Yep you can total still register him and any of his kids, one of my doelings came to me unregistered but both parents had papers so I was able to still to register her just the same with no problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm confused with your question. If both parents are registered, then the original owner should give you a properly filled out and signed form to register him. If he is already registered, then the original owner should give you the properly filled out and signed registration paper. Then you will want to join ADGA to continue registering offspring.
Some breeders won't or don't want to pre register a goat if they know there selling it, and will just send pictures of the parents papers for you to register the goat yourself

·
Registered
476 Posts
Some breeders won't or don't want to pre register a goat if they know there selling it, and will just send pictures of the parents papers for you to register the goat yourself
Yep you can total still register him and any of his kids, one of my doelings came to me unregistered but both parents had papers so I was able to still to register her just the same with no problem.
That shouldn't be possible without the breeder's signature on the application, as far as I am aware? Otherwise what's to stop you from finding photos of pedigrees online and falsifying registration for a kid? Or registering an animal that the breeder purposely sold as unregistered?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These were just pictures that she had posted online with the buckling. I put the deposit down but he won’t be weaned for two weeks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe these were the papers to the dam and sire of the buckling I was looking at. So I should expect or request a fo from them is that right?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes. The breeder will either register him for you, or give you a signed application to fill in yourself. Usually when they just give the application, everything except the animal's name is filled out. Make sure you get the papers (or signed application) when you bring home your buckling. Don't trust that the breeder will send them along or register him for you later.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thank you so much. I didn’t know what to expect or request and I hate going into a situation with no knowledge of what to expect.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It should be mentioned that you can only register kids from your registered goats if you pay for a yearly membership with ADGA. A breeder can sell you a registered kid, or you can send in the registration forms when you buy a kid, but to register your own offspring you have to join.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It should be mentioned that you can only register kids from your registered goats if you pay for a yearly membership with ADGA. A breeder can sell you a registered kid, or you can send in the registration forms when you buy a kid, but to register your own offspring you have to join.
You can register goats as non member. It costs more but that's all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That shouldn't be possible without the breeder's signature on the application, as far as I am aware? Otherwise what's to stop you from finding photos of pedigrees online and falsifying registration for a kid? Or registering an animal that the breeder purposely sold as unregistered?
I'm pretty close with our breeder so it's pretty easy for me to go have him sign them, but if your not, then that would be hard. I didn't even think about that since it's so easy for me to do

1 - 20 of 23 Posts