Registration vent!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by myfainters, Nov 15, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Ok, so I have a vent........

In every breeding you have the potential for good show quality stock as well as decent breeding stock quality and then you have "pet or "meat" quality...aka "culls" right???

Now comes my vent..... people who sell "pet" quality bucks castrate and sell them as pet wethers or meat. People who sell pet quality does sell as unregistered.... why??? It would be soooooooooooooooo simple if the registries would just put a little pet quality/non breeding box on the papers so you can register the does and sell them without breeding rights by checking the box. (I raise myotonics where the registry is still considered an open registration) soooooo since the registry is still open that means I can sell a pet quality doe for $150 without papers and the buyer can then got to the registry.... register the same doe under their herdname and breed for registered kids. Wouldn't the non breeding registration solve this problem????? Ugh.... I'm not allowed to post this on the MGR group. I am on moderation. LOL

2. LOL you trouble maker! haha that does make sense though. I see your point! Sorry :hug:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I see your point as well...we can "fix" pet quality bucks so they can't reproduce BUT theres nothing we can do to guarantee a doe sold as a pet won't be bred.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is a VERY good point - have you brought it up to MGR?

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yeah.... Tara is the one who said she would bring it up to the BOA but that she didn't seem to thrilled with the idea.... she said any culls should be eaten... period. The problem with that is there isn't enough clientele in my area for goat meat... and I don't eat it. :doh: :) Pet homes are my main option.... but I don't like selling at pet prices and quality and then seeing them on craigslist as registerable kids because it's an open registry. :( I know I can't be the ONLY person who has that problem? :chin:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I can definately see your point. My only question I see with this is, if a doe was marked as pet quality, since this is still an open registry for "foundations", couldn't someone just toss the pet quality papers and apply for regular registration?

I wish when people are told this is "pet quality" and is being sold as a PET they would just listen or at least not register the kids that they produce. That sounds so annoying in an open registry situation!

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes, you have a point there.... they could just toss the papers...but they'd have to remove the tag, tattoo or chip from the goat to be assigned a new one. You'd think most pet owners wouldn't want to go through that.... at least I'd hope not. :(

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very good point - seems a bit of a pickle you are in, sorry I cant help much :/

9. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    How can they register a doe with out parents reg. info?

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Because it is still an open registry.

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The registry is still open. Just like any other breed and/or registry, they have to start somewhere. Any goat that conforms to the myotonic breed is eligible for registry I do believe (myfainters would know). These will be the "foundations'' of the breed later on down the road.

At some point the book will close and they will only be able to register kids that have registered parents. I am not to familiar with the myotonics registry though and how far along it is in it's developement.

EDIT: myfainters...posted at the same time. ;)

12. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Oh Okay, I didn't know what open registry meant:) That is frustrating
    :grouphug:
    Could you write up a contract stating that this doe is not to be bred?

13. GoatGirlMO

GoatGirlMO New Member

Aug 13, 2010
    If the registry requires that they be tattoo/tag/chip, can't you tattoo/tag/chip the does and send them without papers? Then when/if owners down the road try to register the does, they have your herd tattoo and thus must go through you to get papers??

Or maybe it doesn't work that way with the myos...

Just a thought. I know I've purchased goats before that were tattooed.. I contacted the registries and either A.) they had no record of the goat or B.) they could tell me a breeder. In some cases, the breeder was happy to give me papers, in others, there was a reason the goat didn't have papers.

With ABGA you can get certification of pedigree for wethers, you'd think that some registries would allow something similar for does...

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point -- that would work too I would think -- right Jess? Same idea as the "pet doe" being tattooed and therefore no easily registered or even possible to do so as foundation

15. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    You know they have that option with AKC for dogs. I use to raise Great Danes and I would sell pet and show quality danes. For Pet Danes they where sold with Limited Registration meaning their pups could never be registered, and also we sold them with spay neuter contract.

But I think that would be an excellent idea for the Goat Registries

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ... couldn't you tattoo pet kids in someway to make them unregisterable?or can you use tags too

I didthat with my pets goats and even with rabbits..

17. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    This is what I did with my chinchillas - you could always put in your sales contracts for "pet only does" that the doe is not to be used for breeding and needs to be spayed within a certain amount of time. They have to bring you proof of the spaying. If they do not then you give them two choices - you have the right to take her back if you see fit and if she kids you have the rights to all of her kids or they owe you another $$$ however much you choose. Or you can just spay all of your pet does and charge a little more when selling. It might seem like a bit much but it works pretty well =) I have seem people do this with dogs, flying squirrels, etc. anyhow, just an idea!

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its not real easy to spay a goat

19. LOL just saw this and you are right stacey. The other thing is you can put a good buck on a poor doe and get decent kids. If you do not you mess up only one or two goats that will be pets again. A buck that is poor has the same odds on a great doe. BUT you breed him to 25 does you just messed up 25 to 50 goats that you now have to find pet homes for if the buck throws him "Great" genetics. But either way, you are right any doe can be registered as found and if so many farms out there did not register they could do away with it. However there is so many does out there not registering it would hurt the breed worse to close the found does. Too bad you can't band teats. That would stop the folks from breeding. Then again you just have to trust folks to do the right thing.

20. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    But a pet quality doe can still be milked. So they are useful if they are bred.

I see your point though, the new owner should not be able to register the offspring. But what about (and i know it is a rare occurrence, at least with dogs) - suppose you have an animal you don't think is good. You decide it is pet quality. Later they 'blossom' and turn into a really nice representation of the breed. Is that possible with goats?

I didn't even look at the quality of my boys. I fixed them all at 8 weeks. One of them I really liked the look of, but at 8 weeks I couldn't tell for sure, and I had no use for him, b/c he was only unrelated to one doe I had.