The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've had my one and only, first goat since she was found as an orphan a couple of days old lying next to her recently dead mother. She is now 20months old and considers me as her mama goat, always has.

I've logged onto GoatSpot often to help me find answers and I am grateful to all the things I have learned. Thank you. I now felt it was time to ask some questions of my own...

My lovely little goat was attacked by a dog yesterday and has had both ears ripped clean off her head. I've searched the internet for similar accounts in hope of finding someone who has shared similar trauma, but can find nothing.

The vet has been to see her and says the purple antibiotic spray, I am using, and the bandaged dressing, I am doing, is fine. We just have to keep it clean and wait for it to heal. He has said she looks in good shape, considering what's happened. He gave her some pain relief and an antibiotic shot.

Thing is, we live on a remote island in the Caribbean. Although we have very capable vets, many of the resources people mention are not as readily available and general attitudes to domesticated animals is very different to what I grew up with.

I guess I would like some support to know I am treating her best I can. Any advice would be very welcomed.

The photos were taken about 20 hours after the attack, the antibiotic spray making the wounds purple. Plus one of Dinna doing her best Audrey Hepburn impression!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
Oh poor baby! Honestly I would do as the vet suggested and just make out for signs of infection. I had a doe a few weeks ago loose half of her ear by another goat and I just left her be and she is healing up great. Keep her happy. It was probably a stressful time for her so just make sure she is eating and drinking ok and try not to add to the stress.
I live the if you name it deals lol I had one of those with a alpaca.....husband wasn't happy but I now have tina the alpaca

·
Super Moderator
32,164 Posts
poor baby..so sorry this happened...I think you are doing great...you can support her system with probiotics...b complex if you have it available...garlic is my new fav herb!! feed daily to support the immune system and is a natural antibiotic..you can feed it fresh and raw if she will eat them...or crush them in a paste with olive oil and feed her a tablespoon a few times a day...

best wishes

·
Registered
813 Posts
So sorry you had this happen. Dogs can do so much damage. I had several killed by a neighbor's dog many years ago. One doe was so mauled the vet wanted to put her down but my little girls and I nursed her thru weeks of healing. Not knowing what else to do I made tea from parsley, celery, clover and honey and some other things I have forgotten. My little daughters gave her some constantly, plus we were with her all the time.
Hope your little doe is better soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your tips.

She's certainly still functioning. She's not comfortable enough to chew cud yet so her poops are kind of clumpy, but she's drinking plenty and her appetite came back yesterday afternoon.

I'll try her on Garlic, thanks happybleats. And I seek out as many other healing herbs as I can for tea, thanks wndngrvr. And I'll reach out to Heron Hill Dairy, thanks for that one Ranger1.

I know it'll take time, but she's certainly a survivor!! Her balance and distance judgement is a little off at the moment, but that's something we'll have to work with.

I'll post updates and let you know how these remedies work out, thanks again.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Injectable B-Complex vitamins or injectable Thiamine would really help her, especially with her showing imbalance at times. Goat polio is a real concern after a traumatic event like this. If you don't have access to any injectable b-vitamins, then crushing b-vitamins from the human pharmacy and drenching them into her, while much less effective, would be better than nothing.

Also, dog bites are extremely infective and a long course of antibiotics is absolutely necessary. I would see if the vet will give you a few more doses of the injectable antibiotics.

I'm so sorry for this event but keep up the hard work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You are not alone. This same thing happened to one of my nigerians and my favorite nubian. The very same dog did it to two of my neighbors boer babies as well. I also met a lady at the vet with a goat that was earless from a dog attack. It happens all the time unfortunately.

Did the vet give tetanus antitoxin?
I would do something for tetanus prevention, there are also herbs that can be used for this. I lost my nigerian doe even though she was vaccinated, I didn't realize she needed an antitoxin at the time. She developed lock jaw after 10 days of cleaning her wounds, administering antibiotics, and feeding her with a drench tube. It was pretty heartbreaking.

·
Administrator
85,573 Posts
I agree with all.

If she hasn't recently has her CD&T shot. I would get her a tetanus antitoxin as mentioned ASAP.
Add probiotics and fortified vit B complex SQ as mentioned, 6 cc's per 100 lbs. for a few days.

I am not sure that I would keep the wound covered. If there are no flies and it is kept clean. I see no reason to cover it.
It is best to leave it to the air. Dog germs are terrible.

I am so sorry she was hurt so badly. Make sure she does move around from time to time.
Hope the dog has been taken care of and won't get to her again.
That is just horrible. Keep the spray on her daily and watch for any stink.
Poor baby girl. :(
Praying for her to heal quickly.

·
Super Moderator
32,164 Posts
I agree..fresh air is healing

·
1,120 Posts
I had a buck that was attacked by a couple of dogs and my vet prescribed pretty much the same thing as yours. Pain meds and an antibiotic for a couple weeks. Other than that I had to keep it clean. Mine went off feed for a couple days but the vet said that was normal and I just gave him free choice hay and offered grain. By the end of the week he was eating again and after a couple weeks he was back to normal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for these extra suggestions. I'll ask the vet if he has the other B Complex vitamins,Thiamine and Probiotics. He did say it was a long lasting antibiotic and that they would come with more after 3-4 days. I'll call them today.

Arielmadison, I'm sorry to hear your lost your doe. I saw a friends dog develop tetanus, and I can understand how heartbreaking that is. Tetanus is here, so I'll get her treated for that too.

I'm keeping them covered when I can't be with her as there are flies around and yesterday when they were uncovered, she had a back hoof up trying to scratch it. The wounds are mostly dry, so with the spray, I'm hoping to allow them to be open to air for longer periods.

Dinna is looking brighter and stronger today, all functions seem to be working better, she's chewing cud, and pooping better, trying to nibble on things she shouldn't!. I've given her open access to graze in the garden, but she's preferring to snuggle into corners and is enjoying licking salt from my dive kit! Friends have been over to visit with a big bunch of grass which she has happily nibbled through. We have a lot of confidence building to do, but I'm not going to rush her, I'll let her heal in her own time.

Thank you all for caring.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.