The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. Yesterday, we picked up the market wether my son had sold at the 4-H auction. He and another wether went to a farm, and seemed all was well, but unfortunately something happened to the other wether, my husband said the farm manager thinks a coyote got him. The boys wouldn't stay with the other animals <cows and goats>, and being white bodied...I'm sure they must have stood out. I feel so bad, mostly for the owners, as I know they loved having the boys in the field

My son's wether is traumatized a bit, but a few days back here with his mom and sister and he should be fine. He has a bad cut on his leg from a couple of weeks ago that is healing, should be fine, I know the farm owners were having it treated.

He is an absolute sweetheart, easy going, and so loveable. That was one of the reasons I think the farm owner didn't want to do what others were doing and have the boys butchered & donated to the food bank.

So.... I'm wondering, when the time comes, what is the best way to try to find him a good, forever home?
We'd need to charge, as I'd like to either send that $$ to the owners, or we'll get something as a 'Thank You' to send over to them.
I have some other ideas as well.

I was thinking a contract would need to be signed stating the new owner is adopting him, and in the event he needs to be rehomed, the owner should contact us first? And that he should not be used for meat?

Or should I just try to find a good home and pray that they take good care of him?

Last case scenario is never letting him leave us again lol I'm starting to think this could be God's way of saying 'he's home.'
Of course, we have limited space/land/shelter, so we'd have to work all of that out somehow.

Anyway...I couldn't sleep, with all that we have going on, and then bringing him home yesterday afternoon. I had trouble falling asleep, you know, I feel so bad for the farm owners, I know they must feel bad. I am so sorry it just didn't work out, we all had hopes the boys would fit right in, because they had the most beautiful huge field to call home.

I know he'll be fine in a few days, just need to let his mind recover. Even with everything that is going on in our lives right now, I am determined he will get his favorite cheese peanut butter crackers today that my daughter always shares with him ;)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm so sorry about what happened to your guys. It's good you have at least your one whether back though.

Your idea of a contract is a good idea. You can find adoption rubrics online. You would just want to say he's for adoption and cannot be re homed without your consent. You can also add whatever will make you feel okay with re homing him. I know the times we've adopted out a horse we've included that should we find the animal is being neglected we have the right to end the agreement, refund the fee, and take it back. And different people but different things into their agreements. I hope you're able to decide what to do with him, it sounds like you all love him a lot :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i agree a contract is needed. there are lots of people looking for brush cutters and companions. i would try craigslist. we just rehomed 2 grade does to a man that has more$$ than he can count and those does have a goat palace to live in. amd all he wants is companions and brush reaters. they will never be eaten or given away they are his pets.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much I appreciate it! I'll start working on something as soon as things calm down. It'll be a while before we even consider letting him go somewhere, we want to get his mind healed, and the cut on his back leg healed first.
I feel so bad especially for the farm owners, they are such wonderful people. We do want to do a little something nice for them and thank them for buying the boys, and say how sorry we are that it didn't work out.

We missed this wether so much ♥, he's always been a favorite of ours. His mama and sister seem very happy to have him home too :)

We'll work on getting him over this, and then just see what happens.

Wildegoats - We are in Central KY.

Rudy is a kiko/boer cross, his mama is our very favorite doe, Snow White. He has her personality as far as being loveable & huggable go :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Too bad they couldn't have found another goat for him to pal around with and tried to keep the predators out.

Good luck finding a home. God takes care of ALL of his creatures and he will take care of Rudy and you. God Bless you for being able and willing to take him back and make sure he gets a nice home.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know :( But, they had 2 other goats in the field and cows. Those goats stay with the cows, but our 2 boys didn't want to hang around them, which is probably why they got into trouble.

I think he is just one of those type that needs to have a small field, and daily care. We all thought the boys would love it. The field was absolutely beautiful, all the grazing they could want.
They did have really good fencing, but unfortunately you can't prevent something from jumping the fence. My husband said someone could have stolen the other goat too, which could be why they saw no sign of his carcass, blood, or anything. I'm kind of hoping that is not the case, but I also hope it wasn't the coyote either :(
Fixing that fence to keep predators out is virtually impossible because it's so big. They did have a goat attacked a couple of years ago, but hadn't had any problems since then. I think these boys being white really didn't help them any.

I let him and his sister go in the pen with the 2 young does to have grain and all the hay they want, then I'll put them out with their mama/other goats after they get their fill. He already seems to be settling back in and is more lovey this morning. He let me give him kisses and hug him to me, so that's progress :)

The cut on his leg is pretty gross looking, but it's dry, healing and bugs don't seem to be bothering it. I know they were treating it because they told me about it after it happened.

Deciding what to do will be the hard part though, but ultimately he really should be rehomed with a buddy, not a herd, and needs to be a pet. He's great around kids. He is 8 months old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts