The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pregnant doe. I know some can just be bad mothers, but is there anything I can do this time to possibly help the bond to the new baby to attempt to avoid bottle feeding? Last time she wanted nothing to do with her kid. She did only have one last time and she was separated more than a week before hand. This is her second kidding ever. We tried multiple times last to introduce them the first kidding. Also it will be very cold where we are. (Wisconsin) Should I be okay with a place indoors with a heat lamp? If the kid is shivering what do you guys use? I tried a small dog coat with no luck. Nigerian Dwarf breed.

·
Super Moderator
59,727 Posts
I bet she will do better second time around. You can set up a heat lamp. It really is a matter of you trying different things that work for you. Certainly having her in her own stall helps.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If your there when the baby is born try to not step in unless you really need to. What I mean by that is if it’s not breathing or if it’s cold yeah get in there but try to let her see that is her baby, you are not bringing in a alien and trying to trick her with it. If she still doesn’t seem to be overly thrilled with it try and get it latched onto her as fast as you can. I’ve had a few I thought for sure were going to go down the road because they were just acting like total crap mothers their first time but once I got them latched on and nursing it was like a lightbulb went off for them. Just watch her and use your best judgment, in the end a live bottle kid is better then no kid. I also agree having her in her own stall or area by herself will also help out a lot. She won’t be wondering if that’s someone else’s kid or another is going to pick on her or her kid.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Light Wood Lighting Sky Flooring
Mammal Grass Wood Waste container Gas
Heat lamps indoors made me nervous, especially since we were leaving babies alone with their moms. We used old plastic barrels, cut a hole for the lamp on top and then cut a hole on the bottom for the kids to go into the barrel. We secured it to the wall so it couldn't tip. It's a nondrafty, warm place and so far all our kids love their little barrels.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
View attachment 149215 View attachment 149213 Heat lamps indoors made me nervous, especially since we were leaving babies alone with their moms. We used old plastic barrels, cut a hole for the lamp on top and then cut a hole on the bottom for the kids to go into the barrel. We secured it to the wall so it couldn't tip. It's a nondrafty, warm place and so far all our kids love their little barrels.
Do all of the "suites" have these amenities?

Reactions: cristina-sorina
1 - 8 of 8 Posts