The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a brand new French Alpine buck that was very friendly until we disbudded. I have spent several days trying to sit and have him come to me so I can show him I mean him no ill will. He now shys away. This one we plan on keeping and using for breeding stock. He is not bottle fed and I don't want him to climb all over me, but not be afraid to come near me. Are there any suggestions to help rekindle that loving feeling?
:?:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
keep trying to sit with him, talk to him, sing to him, and give him LOTS of treats. he probably remembers that you were the ones who hurt him, and he doesn't like that. just like how my guys hate me when I'm shoving medicine down their throats. they don't like me for a while either....but they get over it.

·
8,071 Posts
Honey on your finger sometimes works. Mine act that way for a few days to a week, then they are back to trying to climb
me, their mom's and anything else.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I bought a doe last year, wild as a stallion - never was handled. took me a few weeks to win her over.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We have a brand new French Alpine buck that was very friendly until we disbudded. I have spent several days trying to sit and have him come to me so I can show him I mean him no ill will. He now shys away. This one we plan on keeping and using for breeding stock. He is not bottle fed and I don't want him to climb all over me, but not be afraid to come near me. Are there any suggestions to help rekindle that loving feeling?
:?:
You're just going to have to give him time. Regardless of what anyone says, disbudding hurts and goats don't forget things like that, usually. It's going to take some serious work to regain his trust.

·
Nibbles! Not again...
1,532 Posts
Time. lots of time and love. I have a wether that was disbudded...was friendly before and then after turned into a total scardy cat. I had to take him on a collar and leash with me everywhere for almost a month, and lots of treats and me just petting him and never grabbing him like a predator would...just quietly talking to him...eventually he came around and now he loves me and follows me around everywhere. Lays in my lap like a dog and he's like 80 pounds haha. Just be gentle and give it time. Do not rush. Just makes it worse. :) Needless to say I will never be disbudding any of my goats ever. He is still scared of men (a man did it) but is fine around women. They do remember.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts