Remember Penny's illness? Long w/ pic

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Feb 9, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's been 6 weeks as of this past Saturday that she was diagnosed/treated for Listeria....3 weeks since she started the neurologic reaction to total darkness and 2 1/2 weeks since the last "extreme stargazing" episode. I decided that I'm pretty much going to have a goat that will have a permanent left tilt to her head AND she has been a totally normal spoiled brat. Because I feared the others knocking her around I haven't "forced" the issue with penning her with them, she has a hole in the separating gate that she can go in with themm if she wants to, but they can't fit through it to get into her space. The thing is, this brat is territorial with "her" space and will butt heads with anyone who sticks their head thru the hole....and she nails their rears every time they come in to get on the stand for dinner. Needless to say, I am coming very close to kidding time here and she is going to need to be with the others...minus Bailey and Binkey, who will be in kidding stalls. I have little Heidi in Penny's space now with her, hoping that the lowest on the totem pole buddies up with her so that she has a friend when she joins Bootsie and Angel. I took safeguards and have the flashy pink duct tape on both Heidi's and Penny's horns, they are playing AND I saw Penny go into the big girls stall to get away from Heidi, so I know the brat is playing on my sympathies! So far, they've been ok...butting and rearing and Penny was even laying and chewing cud. She's not had any more episodes that would make me worry any more than normal so I hope that she is fully recovered. And....she looks way too cute with that pink tape on her little horns!
    She still has the left tilt to her head...she will turn her head so far to the left to look down with her left eye, she can see fine with her right eye
    [​IMG]
    She has a bit of a droop to the left side of her face, her ear mostly.
    [​IMG]

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She is such a cutie. And look at all that snow!

Funny that I was listening to James Herriott yesterday while making lotion and there was a cow that he diagnosed with Listeriosis - he treated her, she recovered but had that tilt to the head. He said it eventually went away almost completely (took a couple years). Maybe that will be the case with Penny?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    she is such a cutie! I am so glad that she is still with you and doing well - hopefully she will loose all of that head tilt

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz.....she's sooooooo darn cute....I could just gobble her up!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If all I need to deal with is a head tilt, I'm happy with that. It does give her a "curious" look though....and with that amount of snow I was surprised she even went out in it!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I am glad she is still alive and doing well sticking up for herself :)

7. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Liz, I've been wondering how she was doing. You're right, if that's her biggest problem -- the tilt to see -- yippee! I wonder how/if her sight was affected and if it will come back. Good liuck!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats just it...she can see fine with both eyes....not sure why she has to turn her head to look at the floor with her left.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...she's adorable... :love: I am so happy.. she is doing well.... head tilt is not bad ......considering how sick she was.... :hug: :greengrin:

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    That's great that she's doing well Liz!! Congrats :hug:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Liz a little tilt is better then it could of been.

My sister adopted a dog that had (I can not remember what it was), but she tilts her head to the side also. They call her Cock eye. Her real name is Missy. She is adorable and that is just her now,.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's hard to know that I very well could have lost her, as long as she can continue being the spoiled and normal goat that she is, I can definately get used to the head tilt..... right now, she's asleep in the stall with Heidi laying 5 feet away. All seems good with the 2 of them together, they aren't fighting and they really seem content at this point.

13. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    So true. It's easy to let the small stuff go and look at the big picture. If the tilt goes away over time it was meant to be, if not then even if a scarey reminder, still one of all she came through like a badge of survival.

You have a very precious girl there, but I didn't need to tell you that. :wink:

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Laura, you are absolutely right, each time she looks at me or even the way she picks through her hay with her head tilted, it is a reminder of just how bad it could have turned out. Penny will likely end up my herd queen one day because of her spunkiness and fighting attitude.....she's already trying to beat the bigger girls down, but only when I'm there! She'll hit them in the butt then when they turn on her she hides behind me!

15. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Oh, Liz! I am so happy to hear that she is doing well! She has been in my thoughts and prayers! She is a miracle goat that one. :)

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's been 7 weeks and 3 days...and the pairing her up with Heidi went very well until Heidi figured out that she can leave and join the herd AFTER she ate up all the hay in the basket! Brat! Penny can hold her own and join the others if she wants.....she's also figured out that Binkeys head butts don't hurt because she's a baldy so Penny has been really challenging her...but Binkey has a good 40 pounds on her so she can really bulldoze her. I also put a dimmer bulb in the nite light and she has done very well with the adjustment. I have so much to be thankful for with this little doe.....and all the support from all of you has really helped me to keep my sanity!

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :clap: Liz.....so happy she is doing so well! She is so darn cute!

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm a true goat nut...I have 2 cameras on her now and can watch her every move, I love watching her bring up her cud....looks like she's ready to blow a bubble with chewing gum!

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I so want a barn camera so I can watch my boys just for the fun of it! I love observing them from afar when they don't know.....I can see my boys yard from my dinning room window and I can just sit and watch them forever.....but they are so smart and have great hearing, if the hear me and hubby talk or make a noise in the house they will run to their gate and just watch the house....hoping we are coming out to them!

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...They are something aren't they? I think that Penny knows I am watching her because there are times that she will just stare at me in the cam!