Removed Ear. Update to post in vet section

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatstafson, Nov 27, 2007.

1. goatstafson

goatstafson New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    I went and saw the goat today. The ear was completely severed from the side of the head and was only attached by a thin layer of fat and and skin at the very top. Three large tendons and 2 blood vessels were clearly severed. Being a Nubian ear, it was pretty big and heavy, and thus had "slid" down the side of his head about 3 inches. We quickly made the decision to remove the ear. There was no blood supply and that ear was cool to the touch. When we applied pressure, the skin sorta pealed away. So no hope of saving that.

We cut about 1/2 inch behind the dead and rotting tissue, into the healthy tissue. We got a good bleed and allowed it to bleed for a short period of time to "flush" out the area. We then lightly cauterized the open blood vessel to stop the bleeding and seal bacteria out.

The area was then thoughly scrubbed with an herbal mix that contained garlic, GSE, a small amount of iodine, and a tiny amount of peroxide, in boiled water. The skin about 1 inch all around the wound, peeled away and we irrigated several lacerations and removed the "borders" of the wounds. Now all that is left is clear, healthy looking tissue.

I then applied a solid layer of honey and covered that with a wet dressing that was soaked in my herbal mix. Followed by a dry dressing and vetrap.

We gave him a good does of PCN and Vitamin B. Some warm water with molasses and put him to bed with fresh hay.

Starting in the morning he will be getting garlic twice a day, yogurt twice a day, and aspirin. We aren't giving the aspirin for pain relief, but more to keep his blood thin so that he gets lots of blood flow to the area. He is also getting his dressing changed and the area scrubbed twice a day. We are applying a little bit of heat to increase the blood supply as that is highly compromised.

I will keep you posted, as he heals. This guy is amazingly strong and patient. I think he really has a good chance if he survives the next 24 hours.

I have a picture, but it is really nasty so I don't know that anyone will want to see it.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    He must be a good guy to allow all that- I hope he heals well.
    One of my first goats had lost 1/2 of her ear with a dog bite - she recovered uneventfully and without complications- it looked ok too after it healled.

3. goatstafson

goatstafson New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't think he had a choice! Poor guy, into his pen walked 3 of the most determined women on the planet! The tallest only standing 5 foot 3" I am sure he was quite surprised, when we hog tied him and with a great groan put him on his side. We had ropes coming off of that goat everywhere and ended up sitting on him (he was much stronger than we were!). We were able to score a small amount of lidocaine, so at least we could numb him up some. Of course once you start, you have to finish the job!

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Hats off to you guys! Please keep us posted with updates and any changes in treatment.

5. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Wow just got up on this thread, good job folks. Yes please keep us up to date on this one.

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Good job! We women can be strong. :)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good work, boy I am not sure I would have been up to the challenge!

do keep us updated.

The garlic is to help with infection right?

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Wow!! That sounds very painful. I am glad you were able to get all the rotten flesh of and treat it properly. Let us know how he does.