Removing a kid buck?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Apr 15, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    At what time do you seperate your bucks from your does. Mine is almost 2 months old, and he is starting to show signs of interest in the females.

2nd question. ... My husband is curious ... if you have a doe and a buck in the same kidding, does this make the doe sterile? He said in dairy cattle if you have 1 of each the female is usually sterile.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    at 2 months yes they can start breeding or trying to breed. It is more common at 3 months to be furtile though.

Nope they won't be sterile if in a litter of bucks and does :D

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you for asking that!! I know the boys show interest "young" but wasn't real sure of when they could do damage! My Teddy is 9 weeks old and still with my does, sisters and brothers..introducing him to his daddy was funny, though I know he'll have to hold his own eventually, but will soon enough as soon as the big boys realize that he is a buck and not a doe! lol..

My Tilly was one of triplets, she had 2 brothers and has given me 3 sets of twins and a set of triplets...so nope, mixed sexes in a litter don't have bearing on a doe being "sterile", though I have heard it is possible.

4. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    That makes me feel better. He is running around with his sisters and some other doelings, plus 2 other does that are ready to breed anytime. I am just a little nervous about putting him with our other 2 bucks just yet. I don't want him to take a beating from them.
    It's also good to know his sister mostly likely won't be sterile, my husband had me concerned. She is a good looking doe.

Any suggestions on making the transitions with the other bucks?
    :wink:

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My plan with Teddy is to let him run with Hank and Chief, outside of their fence, my girls are in a separate pen so this way the little guy can "get away" and not be cornered, As far as putting him in there shed, I'm scared he'll be picked on as he is 1/2 the size of Chief and 1/3 the size of Hank so I think he'll be stalled in the girl barn and left to run outside the fence til he has some meat on his bones, I did this last year with Chief and it worked out fine...though I had a thru the fence breeding between he and a very young FF all worked out fine.

6. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I wean my bucks at 8 weeks from mom and sisters. This year my little buck began jumping his siblings at two weeks of age. Its amazing! Last year my first one to start doing that was at 4 weeks of age. Even though they are not breeding and seem to be practicing, still makes me nervous. Naughty boys, worse than dogs!

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i seperate my buck kids from the doe kids when they are 2 mos old. they can get pregnant at that time(usually don't) rather than take the chance

8. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I would suggest removing them at 8 weeks or wethering them. I have a 7 week old buckling that has tried to breed 3 of my does this week. I am hoping that he is not fertile yet but he was making me so nervous that I went ahead and banded him Monday. In the past I only had an 8 wk. old buckling in with my does and 5 months later they all kidded so I know that they can breed that young. Mine start "practicing" at a week old.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We usually use the burdizzo at 8-9 weeks old. Our kids usually start doing the buck thing right after they are born :roll:

As a rule of thumb, separate bucklings or band them before 8 weeks of age. Bucks are sexually mature at that age, and does can be, but usually does can start coming into heat at 3 months of age.

We have all of our bucklings that haven't been castrated yet in with our older buck. He's not in rut and he just likes the company so he's leaving them all alone. When rut comes around though, any bucklings we have will be separated from him so they don't get hurt, that is usually when they are 6 months old.

10. Udder Insanity Toggs

Udder Insanity Toggs New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Saylorsburg, PA
    :sigh:

TWO DAYS OLD whas when our buc kid started here, and now at 3 weeks he is becoming a pro! :hammer:
    ...we are keeping him, but wethering. I just want to give his urethra time to mature enough before we band him. I want to avoid UC, as he will be living with the does and I am sure he may get some grain now and then.

Baaaad little boy!

Kelly :)

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This is a weird question but has anyone had theirs put "it" in their mouth when they are under two months? My two month old buck did it the other day and then started mounting his sister like crazy! :shocked:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My minis have tried to do that at 6 weeks!! I figure that when they can "get it out" then it's better safe than sorry and remove them from the girls! Some don't mature as fast as others though, Hank was 3 1/2 months when he sired his first 6 kids....Chief was 5 months and now Teddy is 10 weeks and trys to "practice" on his wethered brothers!

13. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Do you wean the boys at 2 months and then the girls later? I was thinking about what Im going to do next year,thinking I'll need a seperate pen for the boys. Will wethers still chase the does around though?

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The young wethers still "try" but can't do any damage, so to speak, the does will get their point across when they feel bothered too much.

15. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Oh,and how long should they be seperated from mom before going back in with the other goats?

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I take it this question is in regards to weaning them? Well, that can be a long frustrating drawn out process I have the same issue going now! As long as those kids and mom can see and hear each other it could take months! If you plan on milking your does do it until they are not uncomfortable with filled udders 2x a day if possible, then they don't feel the need to call their kids to nurse. If not then make sure you dry them off the same time you wean the kids because even if they have the slightest bit of udder some does wil let their kids start nursing again, therefore she will never dry up in a short period of time. I plan on keeping my little buck in a stall with his dad so long as he's not rough with him, my doeling will be kept with my yearling for a buddy until she no longer wants her mom....who knows how long this will take but patience is a key to the process. :p