The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, it's probably way too early for anybody to want to think about the next rendez-vous but I am hoping to plan a trip to Wyoming this summer, and was wondering if there is any wiff in the air about when and where the rendy will be this summer, as I would love to come again.
I appreciate how much planning and work is involved and once I know the ropes better will be happy to help.

Ali

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: rendy 2010 dates?

Howdy Ali,

We are in Pinedale, Wyoming. We are new to goats, we got our kids this past spring from Wind River Pack Goats. I heard tell of thinking about rendy here next year, but have not heard from the person who mentioned it since before we even decided to get the Rough Riders. I figured I should offer any assistance you need if you decide to hit this side of the Wind River Mountains, or, if you have the time to plan it, we much prefer the Wyoming Range on the other side of the valley. Doesn't have the popularity of the Wind River Range, so you see far far fewer people, much less concern with Bighorns and USFS (none at all, I think), and just as amazing (or better) beauty. Take a day hike so you can tell people you went to "THE WINDS" and then spend your time alone in the Wyoming Range.

Otherwise, my partner, Amy, and I went to a packing clinic put on by the Backcountry Horseman. It was taught by two gentlemen from the USFS, one who makes the decision as to where you can go with your goats (Pinedale Ranger District). They were very interested in the goats and addressed us often in reference to potential ways to modify what they were teaching to the smaller size of the goats. I believe that there is an opportunity to make some great progress here. We did our best not to share anything beyond the scope of our limited novice knowledge, and we decided before we got our goats that we would focus on the kids and their care and training, and worry about getting into the thick of the issues in 4 years when they are fully grown and ready to pack. For now, we are happy to start training them to camp in places where there is no concern about goats. Of course, we would love to be involved with a rendy out here, and assist in whatever way we can.

Thats my two cents.

Gregg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
595 Posts

Hi Greg,
I'd love to have you put this together with us. We need a person who is onsite to help with developing the project. You would need to work with the FS to develop a volunteer project and to make sure things like site selection, portapotties, local hay are in place. If you are interested let me know.

Please send to my personal email [email protected]

·
Premium Member
595 Posts

I am having problems getting in contact with the right person in the office there. Have been trying all week. The tentative date is the last weekend of July. I should know if it's a go or not for sure by the end of the week.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts

I have spoken to the ranger up there and she is excited to do this. We are working on an actual site and the date needs yet to be approved by the board but we are looking at the last weekend of July. So more to follow.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Last weekend in July, somewhere in Wyoming. I'll be there! ;-)

Any other details we need to know?

·
Registered
83 Posts

Last full weekend in July in the beautiful Upper Green River Valley, nestled between the Wyoming Range and the Wind River Mountains, in scenic Pinedale, Wyoming "All The Civilization You Need".

Planning on the Green River Lakes campground or the New Fork Lake campground, both in the Wind River Mountains, leaning towards the Green River Lakes if we can make it work. You can learn all about the campgrounds and the area on the Bridger Teton National Forest (BTNF) website, under the Pinedale Ranger District.

Carolyn has been working hard on getting the finer points ironed out, and I will be doing some foot work here in town for her, so the details will hopefully be coming soon. Hope this will help for now.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/btnf/offices/pinedale.shtml

http://www.townofpinedale.com/home.htm

http://sublette.com/

Gregg

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: Possible camp site

This is from Gregg (aka "gsbswf")

I am not sure about group size here. It says in the short description online that a group site for 50 people is available, but on the .pdf about it, it says groups of 25-150 people. It looks spread out, and I think the individual sites are right with the group. If you look at the road to the west, just after the second split there is a clearing with a pile of vehicles, that may be a 50 person group site, but I don't know. I have been to the natural bridge as a day hike, which is a neat spot for a final destination, and a beautiful hike along the way. I have also made a day hike out of slide falls, a bare rock water fall, continued on to Fish Bowl Spring, an underground spring that flows up into a little pool full of trout, and then ended at slide lake. As far as heavily used areas go, this is by far my favorite. I have day hiked several times out to the far lake, and often get to relax and fish on the shore without any other people.[attachment=0:3n7ued14]Green River Lakes area.jpg[/attachment:3n7ued14]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: Possible camp site 2

This is from Gregg (aka "gsbswf")

Green River Lakes is 50 people, New Fork Lakes is 150 people. There is a scout camp at New Fork as well, it is south east on the main road in the image, off the map. Large group sites around here will all likely be crowded, and the Green River Lakes get piles of people every day for day hikes, fishing and pack trips. I will check that one next. As far as New Fork goes, it is close to the activity, but not in the middle. There would be no reason for anyone to come through the site to get somewhere else. I don't know when the image was taken this past summer, but I don't see any heavy equipment, which would suggest they were done with beetle kill removal. The 2006 imagery shows far more tree cover. The red color on the ground is likely needles from that removal effort. I guess my point is that the tree cover you see is likely what is going to be there. I made the image pretty high resolution so you can zoom in, so I hope it isn't too large. I still don't know about day hike locations there. I will ask some folks when I get a chance.[attachment=0:19o8jd6x]New Fork Lakes area.jpg[/attachment:19o8jd6x]

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts

Howdy Folks! I met with the Forest Service, Pinedale Ranger District just moments ago. They have confirmed that the dates of July 22 through July 25 are good. We are still working on a site and a project. They have a couple spots figured out already, and we are working out the details of where we want to go.

The important thing is that I asked, and they made it very clear, that JULY 22 Through JULY 25 are the dates for the 2010 Rendezvous. Whatever we decide on sites, those dates will work.

If you haven't already, put in for your vacation, and come on out to Wyoming! We will be on the east side of the Green River Valley, which is the west side of the Wind River Mountain Range, somewhere between Big Sandy and the Green River Lakes.

I look forward to meeting you all!

Gregg

(if you see this post getting to the bottom of the list before I do, please reply to it and throw the dates in your reply to bump it back up, thanks)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello all,

I’m thinking of going to the Rendy and doing a pack trip in the Wind River range - Bridger wilderness – Pinedale district.

The Pinedale district requires a permit for overnight use of pack stock in the wilderness. To start trip planning, I called the Pinedale office and talked to Brad Bence. For others who may also be thinking of doing a pack trip in the Winds, I thought I would pass along what I heard / understood from our conversation. Of course, someone else may hear some thing a little different depending on who they talk with and the flow of the conversation.

Brad said the “cutoff†for packgoat use is a line from the Elkhart trailhead SE to Chain Lakes, then east to the Continental divide. Fish and Game considers their main herd of Big Horns to be in the area north of there and they don’t want any packgoats in that area. Unfortunately for us, that excludes Titcomb basin, Indian basin and the area north along the Highline trail. Still that leaves a lot of beautiful country south of there.

He also said no “loose herding†of stock on the trail…the pack goats must be tethered / tied into a pack string while on the trail. This applies to all pack stock. He explained that outfitters (and others?) had complained about loose and curious goats approaching horses on the trail and thus causing problems for the horse people. He said they do not have to be tied while at camp, except at night (Big Horn concerns).

Packing in a string will be a challenge for my boys. I’m going to start pack-string training and see how it goes. For me that adds some uncertainty about going to the Rendy and then packing in the Winds. At this point I’m expecting to go. I’m looking to do a 7 to 10 day pack trip; going in someplace between Meadow Lake and Big Sandy entrance. Is anyone interested in going along?

Also, for anyone who is thinking about packing in the Winds, Brad said there are two allotments of 8,000 each for grazing domestic sheep in the Pinedale district this year. The northern allotment sounded like it’s north of Pinedale someplace…it sounded like outside the area I’m thinking about going to. The southern allotment of sheep will go in the Big Sandy entrance, graze south then north to about Cross Lake. Brad said there have been complaints of aggressive dogs associated with the southern herd. He said their range manager is working with the permit holder on that issue. You should be able to call the Pinedale office just before a trip and find out where the sheep are at that point in time.

Perry Burkhart
Gig Harbor, WA

·
Registered
742 Posts
aw... i wish some people would get into packgoats over here (aka north-eastern united states). i might have to track down an old friens who moved out there... graduation is may 31, and i'm pretty much free after that... ha ha ha! :lol: just gotta save up for a while :roll: :lol:
i could hike out to washington! save money, waste time, enjoy nature! that would probably take a long time!!! lol!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thought I would give a bump.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I didn't see any mention if vendor's were allowed on site or not? We are planning on making it this year and want to stay legal if someone wants to buy some gear or anything. In the past there has been times vendors were allowed to sell and other times when any tansactions had to be done off site. Either way is fine, just curious how it would be here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts