Rent a goat by the day?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by enjoytheride, Jun 12, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Saw this ad on Craigslist today-
    We have a couple of goats available to eat down your brush. Undergrowth is growing with all of this sun, so keep it in check now before it seeds. $1/day per goat.

Wonder if they do a good business?

2. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would be afraid of what they would be eating, what if the person renting really didnt know and there were plants that are not any good for the goats :shrug:

3. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That's the first thing that occured to me too- I'd have to go through the area carefully to make sure that there are no toxics especially since rhodis and azaleas grow wild here. It was such a short ad that it's impossible to know what they are really going to do.
    But re: traffic- there are lots of places here without any real traffic. I wanted to expose my young filly to road traffic ao I went to the end of our private road to the "main" one - and waited twenty minutes without anything going by.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yah it was all over the news

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    There are quite a few people out in CA that do that as a business to keep the brush down. I remember reading an article on it somewhere and they said it was a pretty good business. I think they provided water for the goats and they also had an LGD with them.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Actually sounds to be a very good brush/ wildfire control idea...if you are willing to inspect the area for toxic plants your goats would be contributing to possibly saving hundreds of acres and homes/families from the devastation of a brushfire. Good idea on saving$$ for the heavy equipment used alot to clear brush...and ruining natural areas for wildlife. :greengrin:

8. SammySimple

SammySimple New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    N. Houston, Tx.
    Having been a goat man for many years, I am all for using goats as weed-eaters and brush control.. They are so frugal and self sustaining, they don't need much care; water, mineral salt, worming occasionally and maybe an annual shot.. Matter of fact my astrological sign is "Capricorn" the old goat.. So goats and I get along just fine. They keep me humble and inspire me to live economically.....

Raised on a farm where my Dad and I had about 50 goats to keep clear 100 or more acres.. One day a thunder storm came up, all the goats ran for shelter under 2 large pine trees up on the hill, about half of them under each tree. Soon lightening struck one of those trees and killed 21 goats. My Dad knew well how to dress and bar-b-que goats, (cabrito) so we had bar-b-qued goat around there for about 6 months..... Sam

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  9. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
  10. .:Linz:.

.:Linz:. Look for me in the barn...

There have been lots of news articles lately about companies hiring goats for weed control. Chicago's O'Hare airport is one of the most recent ones to do so. I know someone locally who raises Boers and lets a local state park take part of her herd every summer for weed control.

11. Axykatt

Axykatt New Member

Jan 31, 2013
    CA uses goats and sheep for "green" weed abatement. I think it's a great idea and had considered starting a mid-quality meat herd to rent out.