Rent Pack Goats for Hiking in Southern Utah

Discussion in 'Pack and Working Goats' started by Rachael H Mays, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Rachael H Mays

Rachael H Mays New Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO
    My husband and I are very interested in learning to hike with and care for pack goats. We are looking for someone who is willing to teach us and rent their pack goats to us for a shortish pack trip this fall in southern Utah. Can anyone direct us please?

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There is a pack goat forum that might be able to help. But there are a couple people on here who could probably direct you who to contact.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    we spent a couple weeks in southern utah recently, near escalante, and i recall seeing a farm advertised that had pack goat trips, custom 'secret' canyon hikes, and painting expeditions. i do not remember the name but maybe there's enough there to find them with a google search?

what a fun hobby! i'm envious!

Rachael H Mays and MadHouse like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :nod:

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm sorry, but I don't know of anyone renting packgoats any more in Escalante. "Escape Goats" is the business Littleheathens referred to but as far as I know it hasn't run packgoat tours in 7 or 8 years. High Uinta Pack Goats is in northern Wyoming but I believe they may do a trip in the Escalante area. It never hurts to call and ask!

Escape Goats: https://www.escalantecanyonguides.com/
    High Uinta Pack Goats: https://www.highuintapackgoats.com/

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I know they have hunting packages with pack goats in Steamboat Springs, Colo. but I dont know the name of the Co.. My sister-in-law's nephew is the owner. I could contact her if you are interested.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. Rachael H Mays

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO

8. Rachael H Mays

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO
    Thank you so much for your advice! I am feverishly typing google queries in hopes of locating the outfit you saw.

9. Rachael H Mays

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO
    Thank you Damfino! I contacted Shawn at Escape Goats yesterday. He indeed said that he was no longer offering pack goat trips in Escalante. Darn. Uinta High Country sounds like a good option but a long trailer ride for the poor goats. We may have to plan a trip closer to their home in Wyoming when the weather warms!

10. Rachael H Mays

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO
    Dear Goats Rock,
    We would be interested in speaking with your Sister in Law's nephew in Steamboat Springs. We live in Golden so we are not far away at all. Perhaps we could get our introduction to pack goats with an overnighter or short trip in the Medicine Bows.

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  11. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I wouldn't worry about the long ride for the goats. We trailer our packgoats to Escalante from Rye, CO almost every year (2-day ride over ~5 mountain passes!). It's a beautiful area to hike and pack with goats! Last year we got lost in Death Hollow and spent an extra day and night on the trail with our packgoats. Fun times!

12. Rachael H Mays

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO
    Getting lost in a beautiful place sounds like the best kind of adventure! I take it goats trailer well. Are there tricks to keeping the goats comfortable and happy during the ride?

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Goats really do trailer well, especially after they've done it a few times. I bed my goats down with shavings and straw so they can lay down if they like, but my big guys usually stand while traveling for some reason (not all are that way). Youngsters nearly always lay down while the trailer is in motion so it's important to have a dry, comfy place for them. I don't tie goats in the trailer so they can move around however they please, and I always keep a couple of hay bags in there in case they want to snack on the road.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Rachael H Mays

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO
    Thanks Damfino for the great advice! I can imagine snacks, lots of cushions, and freedom of movement could make a long trip feel much shorter. I will not rule out trailering from Evanston to Escalante then as long as the goats and their owners are completely comfortable.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  16. Spidergoat

Spidergoat New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    I know of someone in northern Utah that rents pack goats. I know it’s not real close but they are in Logan.
    There are some people on KSL classifieds that sell pack goats as well. They might be willing to rent goats

MadHouse likes this.
  17. Rachael H Mays

Oct 17, 2020
    Golden, CO
    Thanks Spidergoat! Logan is alot closer than Evanston. If it is not too much trouble, could I please get the contact information for the folks you know there? Also, can you tell me what KSL stands for so I can check out that lead also? I really appreciate your advice!

MadHouse likes this.
  18. Spidergoat

Spidergoat New Member

Oct 10, 2018

19. Spidergoat

Spidergoat New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    I got in contact with the guy who had pack goats and it turns out he sold all of them. I’m sorry I thought he still had them but I guess not.

KSL is just a media company. If you look up KSL.com or search KSL classifieds they have a section that is pets and livestock and there’s a subsection for goats. They also have an app that I use.