Rental buck opinions?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CottonwoodBoerGoats, Aug 5, 2020.

1. NO!

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Absolutely yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. If it works for you

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  4. Wouldn’t recommend

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Active Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Ok I have for the last several years rented a buck to breed my few does. Please don’t be to brutal but I am curious to know what your opinions about this subject are. Thanks!

Goataddict likes this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    It is a disease risk. You have no control over the biosecurity of a 3rd party.

Goataddict likes this.

3. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    If it works for you, some people do it because they can't stand the smell and because they think bucks are too much work but as @CountyLineAcres said it can be a biosecurity threat.

At the end it boils down to individual preference.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it works for you, however, I wouldn't recommend it. Disease is too risky.

goatblessings and Goataddict like this.
  5. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Active Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    Thank you! I am considering purchasing a buck in the near future but I simply don’t have the facilities to own a buck at this time.

6. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    If you do decide to rent a buck, you should make sure he has a rock solid medical record.

But hope you get a buck later in life.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    When you only have a few girls its hard to justify feeding a buck year round. Many do lease bucks for this reason. Its doable but you need to set a standard for your girls. The buck should be at least tested and negative for CAE and STDs. The place he comes from should be free of CL as well. He should be the best of his breed you can afford. (We always look to improve on our ladies). For me being easy to handle is a must. He needs to be visually in good health and flesh. Im sure there are other things to think about.
    Will he stay at your place for a time? If yes..do you have a place to put him away from the girls so they have a rest away from eachother.
    Are your fences able to handle a buck? And so forth.

When the buck come he should be in a quaratine pen until the girls cycle in. During this time..a good hoof bath wouldn't hurt. Clean any bio concerns from his hooves before he visits your girls.
    Brush him out..look for any concerns such as lice. Seems small details but when he leaves..you only want him leaving kids growing behind

8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well the biggest pro is you don’t have to deal with a buck! And on most days that sounds very tempting to me lol
    In the end though I think it is worth dealing with them :p yes as stated the risk of diseases. But also the fact you can breed whenever you want, not just when the rental is available. If you pasture breed you don’t have to change your feed management to meet the needs of a rental buck. If I were to lease a buck out (I don’t) I would make it quite clear that he is to be fed a certain way, and I wouldn’t really care if that’s not how you feed.
    You don’t have to take responsibility for another’s animal and if something happened to him no dealing with possible back lash of the owner. People seem to find fault in others even if it really isn’t their fault.
    And I think the second most important reason is you don’t have to settle on a buck. There’s 100s of bucks for sale every year probably that one could purchase. One can go threw those and find THE buck that will improve your herd and cross well with your does. There’s not many bucks for lease, or maybe if there is in your area I’m sure there are others that might lease buck so possibly not many to choose from. One might have to settle on a buck no matter if he’s good or blah, or go without kids that year.
    I don’t think this is a topic one should be harsh about though. We all do what we have to do. Not everyone is able to keep a buck, or find that its worth having a buck for a few does. I totally get it, my sister and one of my best friends don’t have bucks but since they only have stock that came from me and they don’t go to shows or anything their does come over for a date. If they couldn’t do that and couldn’t find a buck to breed their does then they wouldn’t have kids. They just can’t have a buck. So I say do what you think is best for you

Goataddict and Iluvlilly! like this.