Renting a buck vs. buying

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 22, 2013.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    My kids have 4 adult does to breed. Hoping to get them bred in August.
    So we need to get a buck in the next few weeks to turn out with them.

We don't have the land to keep a buck year round, especially a large boer buck. Which is why we sold our buck in Dec.

Thinking about looking into renting a buck. We have a breeder friend who has 3 young, nice boer bucks that are ABGA registered/registerable. We were considering buying one from them, but might talk to them about renting one instead? If they don't want to keep him afterwards, see if we can help them sell him vs. us having to buy him? Or? Any ideas would be great.

My son has a nearly 2mo fullblood boer buck that, if he matures nicely we may keep him for breeding next year. We do plan on breeding 2 young does to him at the end of the year when the does are mature/big enough. But he's not going to be old enough to breed the adult does in Aug/Sept. for Jan/Feb kids.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would just rent the buck if you can. The other option is to put him in the freezer when you are done with him. But then you wouldn't want to put a lot of money into him.

3. TrinityRanch

TrinityRanch Boers & Nubians

Mar 26, 2013
    Central California
    Do you have anyone near you who you can share a buck with? Then you would be able to split the costs 50/50 and he would be at your place less often.

4 does seems like quite a lot to rent a buck for.

4. Chesawmomma

Chesawmomma New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    You say that you do not have room to keep a buck, so renting one, if that is an option, would be the way to go.

There a few people around here that will loan you their buck for a month. You bring him home and he breeds your does, then he goes home. I have done this a couple of times. Not all my does got pregnant in that one month, but it was worth it too me.

5. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I leased out my Nubian buck last year to someone who wanted her does bred but was unable to bring them one by one ot my place. He stayed there for 2 months and then came home. He was happy and the does were happy!

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much I appreciate it.
    We'll see if we can rent or lease a buck, and if not then we'll just buy one and sell him after we know the girls are pregnant.

We have 4 adult does to breed <5 if we buy a buck - 1 doe won't be bred until the end of the year>.

My plan is to just turn the buck out into the pen with the girls.

Since we're breeding the does so the kids can have 4-H babies for next year <Boer>, we want the best we can afford to help improve off of the does.