Reoccurring Constipation in Kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Eac88, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Eac88

Eac88 New Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Hello,

I am looking for some advice regarding one of my goat kids. Info on him: about 4 weeks old, Boer/Togg, has been wethered and disbudded, mom goat has CAE (unknown to us when we got her, also didnt know the two goats we got were pregnant) so we must bottle feed her twins. We have had them on milk replacer since birth, after colostrum replacer, because we do not have access to raw goat milk, or the money to feed them cow milk. They all have been given the first round of the CDT vaccine. This is our first year having goats so we are kind of learning as we go. Have not asked my vet for BoSe scripts, but probably should since we live in New Hampshire. All the babes have been given probios.

Anyway, NudgeBudge (that is his name lol) was born healthy first 3 weeks very healthy, eating normally. But at the beginning of last week he became constipated, not eating much, no poop, still peeing. I treated him for days with enemas, mineral oil mixed with gatorade, when this all wasn't successful, I intubated him and put a relatively large dose of straight mineral oil, finally he started pooping and acting like himself. Two days ago he started showing signs of constipation again. Gave him some mineral oil, he pooped for about a day and is now not eating and constipated again. I massage his tummy constantly throughout the day. I am about to go give him an enema and dose him with some mineral oil again. Meanwhile, his twin sister, Lila, has been perfectly healthy.

They both always have water, hay, and a little grain available, we have been keeping them inside since the boy keeps getting sick, but they get out plenty.

All my vet says (since you know, vets aren't really into goat care) is to do an enema and mineral oil. Which works but he keeps getting constipated. I really don't want to lose him. Has anyone had a 4 week old kid had constipation return repeatedly after treatment? Is there anything else I can try besides mineral oil and enemas? Or know why the constipation keeps returning? I think I'll pick up some sweet feed and encourage him to eat solid foods once he is eating again.

Sorry for the long rambling post, I just wanted to provide as much info as I could. Any and all advice/ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Emily

Attached Files:

2. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Have you had a fecal done?
    I nearly lost a doeling once with constipation. She had high counts of cocci! We always thought constipation could not be linked to coccidia. But once I treated her after the fecal confirmed cocci, she bounced back and was fine.

It may not be cocci. But I would get a fecal done!

Tami

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Give him a dose of activated charcoal, MOM, or kaopectate.

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    It may be the milk replacer. Try mixing it with a bit more water. Sometimes the directions make it too concentrated. Some goats are just more sensitive to milk replacer than others. Can you offer goat electrolyte solution in between bottle feedings? Tractor supply sells the electrolyte solution.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree...replacer can be the issue...If he were mine I would pull the replacer...feed electrolytes for 12 hours...or after a long nights rest...then start him on whole cows milk from the store...be sure not to over feed as this too can cause constipation..

6. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
    You should get a fecal tho too so that you can rule out that he's clear of worm overload.

Good place to always start....

Tami

7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Is it possible to home pasteurize the mom's milk to the point that the CAE is not an issue? I honestly don't know, that is why I'm asking the experienced goat people here. If so, that might also be a solution, since the OP can't afford cow's milk from the store. No kid of mine has ever done well on any replacer.

But so far so good, no CAE in my herd so I can bottle feed goat's milk when I must.

8. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    ^^Yes, that's what I'm doing with the kids from my CAE+ does this year. You heat the milk to 165˚F for 15 seconds.

9. dixsigns

dixsigns dixsigns

Dec 13, 2013
    Idaho , U.S.A.
    Can I just treat with dimethox without getting the fecal? There is not enough Poop for a fecal. I have a 2 weed old buckling I bought from a dairy he had severe diarrhea when I got him now I am dealing with constipation. What come out after an enema is elongated and hard. I have been raising goats since 1993 continuosly and know how to do the enema but this is the first time the enema did not work I have given him 2 already.. no temp, bouncy

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    At 4 weeks old, doing Dimenthox is good idea..preventive every 21 days...use undiluted 1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 1- pounds day 2-5...repeat every 21 days...until weened

I have had success using oil and water enema in kids..

11. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member