Replamin Gel Plus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lottsagoats1, Sep 18, 2020.

1. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I last bought several tubes of it 2 years ago or so. I was down to my last one, so I ordered more. It was much cheaper the last time i bought it, maybe the price change happened when the company changed?

It seems they were bought out by Merrick? The tube has changed and there is a bit difference in the ingredients. They have added Turmeric, Egg protein and chitosan.

Anyone notice a difference in it lately? I haven't used the new stuff yet, it was just delivered 10 minutes ago. I saw the different container and checked the ingredients.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I haven't used it in several months. I'm not a huge fan of it - it has its uses, but it isn't incredibly effective for certain things.

3. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I noticed the tube had changed but didn't know about the ingredients changing!

Looks like the guaranteed analysis hasn't changed though.

For comparison..

Here is the ingredient list for the original kind:

Soybean Oil, d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (source of Vitamin E), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Amino Acid Complex., Copper Amino Acid Chelate*, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate*, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate., Vitamin A Acetate, Silicon Dioxide, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma viride Fermentation Product, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Choline Bitartrate, Glycerin, Corn Starch, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin Supplement, Polysorbate 80, Niacinamide, Sodium Selenite, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Guar Gum, Maltodextrin, Sucrose, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D3), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Dextrose, and Folic Acid.

And the ingredient list for the "new" kind:

Soybean Oil, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Dextrose, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Acetate, Potassium Citrate, Silica Aerogel, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Bitartrate, Thaimine Hydrochloride, Glycerin, Corn Starch, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin Supplement, Sorbitan Monostearate, Niacinamide, Sodium Selenite, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Maltodextrin, Guar Gum, Sucrose, Cobalt Carbonate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D3), Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma viride Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Turmeric, Egg Protein, and Chitosan.

Why would they add shellfish and egg and not clearly state that the ingredients had changed??

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Interesting. I still have old tubes. I still give it weekly. Quit for a while and ended up with parasite problems. So back to it. Not sure why they would put egg in it.

5. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I contacted Vets Plus about it. Here is their response:

Screenshot_20200918-180151.png

6. ksalvagno

The ingredients did change a little. But I will have to look further into that ADEPPT thing

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  7. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I know! This ”new technology” means new ingredients...they don't seem to think it's a problem to feed that to goats.
    We have several tubes of the new kind that we are going to have to use but I'm going to look and see if there are any alternatives.....

8. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Would you update us to what you find.....please?

9. ksalvagno

It has been extremely hard to find info beyond their marketing info. Here is info on chitosan from sciencedirect.com:

2.213.1.5.3 Bacteriostatic and fungostatic properties

Chitosan exhibits an intrinsic antibacterial activity, inhibiting bacteria and fungi growth. As an example, in Staphylococcus aureus cultures, chitosan treatment promotes structural changes in the so-called membrane–wall complex leading to the impairment of surface cell structures and to bacterial death.47 The biological mechanisms underlying this property remain poorly understood. Bacterial growth inhibition is believed to be related to chitosan ability to establish electrostatic interactions between chitosan cationic amino groups and anions, such as N-acetylmuramic acid, sialic acid, and neuraminic acid, present on the bacterial cell wall. In addition to electrostatic interactions, hydrophobic interactions resultant from the presence of N-acetylated residues in chitosan are also thought to contribute to chitosan bacteriostatic properties, highly acetylated chitosans being reported to be excellent flocculants of Escherichia coli suspensions.48

10. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I haven't started the new tubes yet, still have 3/4 of my original blend left. Their answer was sort of a beat around the bush and answer, but not really answer. LOL

I wonder how much research went into the safety of these ingredients?

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  11. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I asked them what the other ingredients in ADEPPT were and why they recommended feeding eggs and shellfish to herbivores. They said:

Screenshot_2020-09-24_13-41-20.png

MadHouse likes this.
  12. ksalvagno

They sure didn't tell you much.

21goaties likes this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Dyne high calorie liquid for livestock contains eggs.

Seems like many products do.

I wouldn’t think there’s an immediate replacement for Replamin, but I think you could combine a few things like TruCare4, selenium e gel, and copper boluses if needed, to achieve something close.

14. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I finally got another response from Vets Plus. Here it is:

Screenshot_20201013-105809.png

MadHouse likes this.
  15. ksalvagno

I'm going to go ahead and use it when I have to buy more. The Replamin Plus works very well in my herd and keeps parasites at Bay.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  16. We have been using it since it had changed labels. There has been no noticeable difference for our herd. We use it currently about once a month.

toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

That sounds generic to me. Its a roundabout way of saying"why yo complaining. Dont be petty". Just my opinion