Replamin Plus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NyGoatMom, Apr 19, 2017.

1. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

So I finally broke down and bought some Replamin Plus and an applicator gun...couple of questions for those who use it...
    1. Do you use this as a replacement for selenium/e gel or in addition to?

2. How much per goat and how often?

3. How about copper bolusing? I generally bolus every 3 months...would it be too much with this added?

Thanks guys!

odieclark likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I do in addition to. You will probably find you will adjust the frequency of selenium and copper. Do 5g once a day for 3 days then once a week.

odieclark likes this.

3. NyGoatMom

Thanks Karen...main thing I'm worried about is selenium....the copper I can gauge by condition

4. NyGoatMom

Karen, you do BoSe shots,correct? If so, how many do they get? Trying to figure out how much selenium e gel to give if they are getting this replamin plus weekly. I usually do the selenium/e gel monthly...copper I could go down to three times a year and see how that does...

5. ksalvagno

I was doing it twice a year. But now I'm out of BoSe so not sure what I will be doing since I have to buy the gel.

6. NyGoatMom

So the selenium gel contains 46.4 mcg per 4 ml ( making it 1ppm)....the replamin plus has 390 mcg per 5 ml( label says 60 ppm)....if I am correct...using both would be way too much? Seems even the replamin plus is too much? Very confusing! It says goats are dosed at 2-5 cc per head as needed?? What do they think as needed is??
    I think I will just use replamin plus and not the selenium gel...I have loose minerals out all the time and can have selenium on hand for babies.

I hate that they aren't specific :/

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    odieclark likes this.
  7. NyGoatMom

So I'm on day three of daily doses....looking forward to seeing if there is a change. I have two black goats so we'll see how well the copper in it does. I'll try to hold off on the bolus and see...

So as I was looking tonight, sel/e gel has 46.4 mcg per 4 ml and Replamin Plus has .39 mg per 5 ml...so how much is the difference between the two? Need some math heads here! lol

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

46.4 micrograms is 0.0464 milligrams. The Replamin has 0.39 milligrams so it contains 8.4 times more selenium than the gel.

9. NyGoatMom

Thanks Jill! So I won't be using the sel/e gel anymore...I'll just use the replamin plus I guess.
    Is that much more going to be ok for them?

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I realize this thread is 8 months old but I would like to resurrect it!

I am behind on my mineral supplementation - I missed my autumn MultiMin90 injections. I don't want to give them now with does due in 2 months because it is a very painful injection so I was reviewing my selenium supplies and realized the HUGE difference in selenium between the Replamin and Selenium Gel?!?

I'm wondering why I ever even bother with the selenium gel? (As long as there are no concerns about ODing the other minerals in Replamin - which in my case there are not.)

Like why is the dose of Selenium Gel so low if they can handle a monthly dose of Replamin?!?

My understanding for 100lb goat (I know, oral vs injection absorbed differently):

Bo-Se: 2.5mL dose has 2.5mg selenium
    MultiMin90: 1mL dose has 5.0mg selenium
    Selenium-e gel: 4mL has 0.05mg
    Replamin Plus: 5mL has 0.39mg

MtnRidgeFarm and NyGoatMom like this.
  11. NyGoatMom

SalteyLove likes this.
  12. goat girls

goat girls Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    New mexcico
    So let me get this straight, if I give Replamin gel weekly I don't have to use sel/e gel or copper boluses?

13. goathiker

I no longer have to give selenium gel but do still have to copper bolus half doses.

SalteyLove likes this.
  14. NyGoatMom

Copper bolus may still be needed. I have been going by the looks of the goats and the selenium seems adequate for me so far..

SalteyLove likes this.
  15. ksalvagno

I have found that too. Still have to copper bolus but haven't had to do selenium.

odieclark, SalteyLove and NyGoatMom like this.
  16. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    So for those folks worried about overdosing their Bo-Se injections... I am giving double the selenium in Multimin90 injections twice per year and haven't killed one yet

odieclark and NyGoatMom like this.
  17. goathiker

Shoot, my old Saanen I was giving Bo.Se at a full dose monthly. Injections of selenium are very poorly absorbed. Oral actually works better in this case, especially if the supplement is chelated.

18. NyGoatMom

So is that half as in 1 gram per 44 lbs or 1/2 as in only 2 x a year vs 4...etc?

HMNS and SalteyLove like this.
  19. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I will start by saying that I love Replamin Plus! I’ve only used it on one of my does though... so far!
    Anyway, we gave a full dose to her 1x day for a week. We were planning on doing it weekly after that but I’ve kind of fallen behind becuase most of my does (including Annie) kidded this month.
    After the first week of giving Replamin I saw a definite change in Annie’s coat (it’s been horrible looking for months and months, nothing I tried was working!). It still isn’t quite where I want it to be, but it’s getting there! Her hair is not as coarse and has more of a shine to it. Also her skin (which has been a recurring problem for her since she was a few months old) is looking better than it has in a long time! I’m loving Replamin and I’m getting ready to make a bulk order of it from Jeffers. ;)

20. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I just can't wrap my head around how Selenium Gel given monthly could ever correct a deficiency if you can give eight times as much on a Weekly basis in Replamin and still a safe amount!