Replamin Plus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NyGoatMom, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess it would depend on where you are.

SalteyLove likes this.
  2. MtnRidgeFarm

MtnRidgeFarm Active Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    O.k. sorry (again) for being a total newbie.... So this replamin, do you give it instead of loose minerals? Or in conjunction with? If my does are receiving their loose minerals, plus copper bolus, would I still give this? And how would I know if they are selenium deficient? I gave them the selenium &E gel a few weeks ago (at 5 weeks pre-kidding) and then just recently (at 3 weeks pre-kidding) but would I normally give them selenium &E on a regular basis?
    Thanks for always putting up with my "still learning" questions!

mariarose and Kath G. like this.

3. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Asking is great and this forum is very helpful!

We do all of the above.

Still give loose minerals 24/7, as they can take them when they need them.

Copper YES! Selenium-Bo-se at kidding
    Replamin weekly or as often weekly as possible.
    Loose goat minerals 24/7

See what some of the experts say

MtnRidgeFarm likes this.
  4. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

This confuses me the most of anything...I have talked with you before about my Sable buck...he is getting red again! I was trying to hold off on the bolus since he's gotten all the replamin plus but am going to have to bolus him too. It's crazy. I backed off the alfalfa pellets for him because of the copper issue thinking maybe the alfalfa was inhibiting the absorption. I changed his feed to make it lower protein too....going to give copper here in the next day or two.

5. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    Replamin weekly, forever? Seems pricey to do that with everyone?

odieclark likes this.
  6. ksalvagno

Depends on your herd size. Plus you spend less money on supplements and even loose mineral.

groovyoldlady and odieclark like this.
  7. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Not trying to hijack the post, but, what dosage would you give Nigerian Dwarf kids and adults? This stuff wasn't around last time I had Nigies!

I use this for my herd of standards, and now with Nigerians added in to the mix. 300 cc will do 60 goats at 5cc a dose. I have 25 +/-. Yes, it is a bit expensive, but I consider it well worth the price for keeping my herd healthy and their diet balanced.

HMNS likes this.
  8. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

I plan on giving kids a pea sized amount just like with the selenium gel. As for minis if they are roughly half the size of the standards you could start with half.

groovyoldlady and odieclark like this.
  9. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I don't personally know anyone who gives this instead of loose minerals. Quality loose minerals, good hay, clean water. That is the trifecta of nonnegotiable nutrient provisioning. Then it goes from there.

I have to supplement copper, selenium, and zinc even apart from my mineral mix. One supplement I have chosen to keep available is Kelp. I add ground flax seed to the kelp for selenium. I have switched from selenium gel to the Replamin Plus, at least for now. I don't give it weekly, but as needed from what I can observe from my goats.

If you use Replamin on a weekly basis, then I would not give a copper bolus on a schedule, but again, watch your goats and only give when they indicate a need. Some times of the year, they will need the extra more than other times of the year. They will show it. If they show it, it is safe to give it.

If one of my goats show a need for selenium that was not addressed by the replamin, yes, I will give them extra selenium.

I like the Replamin because it is like a multivitamin/mineral supplement for humans. You get a dose of most everything you need with all the other vitamins and minerals you need for it to work. Does not mean you never need extra vitamin C though, right? So when you need it, you take it.

If a goat continually needs more than the rest f the herd does (I'm not talking getting over a hump, just is always needing) then I tend to move that goat on. In this way, I am breeding goats that will do well with what I have to offer here. Which, to be fair, is my goal. A good all round homestead goat for here.

I provide the trifecta, then prioritize from there, and also assess for who to keep, who to cull off my farm.

Mary K, ratfarm, odieclark and 3 others like this.
  10. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    Ohh gzzz my headache has a headache. So I have purchased some 300 cc Replamin Gel Plus

What is dosage? Is it 5cc x 3 days then 5cc once a week.
    I ordered it so its not in my hand from Jeffers. But I see 5g in the comments here.

HMNS, odieclark and mariarose like this.
  11. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    The dosage is 5g once a day for five days, then 5g once a week.

Mary K, odieclark and mariarose like this.
  12. mariarose

@Goat_Scout is correct. It is 5 for 5, then 5 once a week. Dwarves are half that amount for the same dosing times.

13. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    Okie dokie got the Replamin first dose in w/o killing myself or any of them. I didnt buy the gun thing for the 300cc I jus took some old stringes I had washed n saved took the plunger out and used a dowel to push the replamin out of tube into syringe. Then put plunger back then dosed each one. It worked well n saved 20 dollars.

odieclark, SalteyLove and Goat_Scout like this.
  14. mariarose

Many people use a dowel or broom handle or something. Let us know how this works for you. Remember they still need iodine.

15. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    I didn’t get the gun...got messy...so I experimented and made REPLAMIN TREAT BALLS!
    ALL my goats love them! I am dosing weekly, giving these treat balls is so easy, and if I am away others can do too.

60 ml replamin
    1/3 cup each water, oats, flour
    2/3 cup mixed nuts
    Crush nuts, mix together dry ingredients, then mix in rest
    Form into balls, marble size, place in floured container
    Makes 60 balls, serve 2-5 balls per goat

Takes me about 20 minutes to make, but soooooo easy to give it too them now. I’m sure I save that much time in wrangling and direct dosing I did before!

HMNS, SalteyLove and Goat_Scout like this.
  16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    The government limits how much of certain minerals can be put in feed, supplements, etc. Some, like Selenium, are added at such a low amount that farmers need to really put the supplements to their animals if they live in a deficient area. The low amounts in the feed create a deficit in the animal and you really have to give big doses to get them evened out. If you gave replamin every day for long periods of time, you most likely would run into overdose problems with some of the minerals it contains. Giving the recommended amount of 5 cc for 3-5 days and then once a month would help get the selenium level up to where it needs to be without causing issues with giving too much.

A lot of supplements and such give rather vague instructions for dosing because they cover such a huge area with millions of variations in minerals, that one dose would not fit all circumstances. And yes, it is freaking frustrating.

I couldn't get the selenium/E gel, so I gave each newborn a pea sized glob of Replamin. Wow, the results were so much more dramatic than from the gel!

Mary K, odieclark and Goat_Scout like this.
  17. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    My goats -even the fussy ones - love the replamin. The LaManchas get a full 5g (which is the same thing as 5 ccs, btw...) and the Nigies get half that. Since I have 2 Nigies, I squirt a full 5g on a flat plastic lid. Then I cut it in half with a paint scraper thing. I just just blop their dose on top of their grain rations (Note: I feed all my goats separately). If anyone leaves any Replamin in their dish, I just press a Cheerio or two on top of the leftover and they wolf it down.

HMNS and odieclark like this.
  18. dian_na

dian_na Active Member

Jan 31, 2015
    St. Louis, Mo
    I gave my saneen all 5 cc 6 perhaps could of been they are at least 130-150. The ND I gav 3 cc to. They all liked it easiest of anything I hav given. They get loose minerals and a goat block. Selium I give twice s year like the copper and I use regular people kind put it in small piece of bread n give them one. A vet told me to do that saves money at $2 for 100 of them samr for vit E. Iodide I haven't noticed them needing. Had one bit on the eye last week by a snake it was ugly but she looks good.

Nigerian123 and odieclark like this.
  19. Heather Bradley

Heather Bradley Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Tennessee
    I’m new to replamin plus. Just got a tube yesterday. I am wondering if I can give one of my does a dose daily for a few days. She is suffering from a worm load and looks rough. I dewormed her with prohibit yesterday and gave her 5mls of replamin. Has anyone administered this daily?

odieclark likes this.
  20. ksalvagno

You do a 5 day loader dose then once a week. So if you just started it, you do 5 days in a row.

odieclark likes this.