Rescue Goat Blown Teats???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Iris88, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Iris88

Iris88 New Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Alabama
    Hi everyone I have lurked around reading this for a while now and never made an account because I’m not sure I have very much to add to the discussions as everyone here seems much more knowledgeable than me. How ever I decided to sign up today because I need some advice. I have had a small herd for about five years now so I not completely new to goats. I got a call from someone who said they had a doe they would give me because they just didn’t have time to milk her. So I said sure. When they brought her over and seen her teats I started to worry that maybe I gotten in over my head with this one. They then told be they were only milking her one every three to four days. She has very long big teats. Other than the way they look they function fine. She doesn’t have mastitis. She also may be pregnant as well. I included pictures of before and after milking. Any advice on drying her up would be wonderful as well as opinions on her udder. Is her udder ok???

Thank you all in advance!!!

Attached Files:

Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The teats actually look fine. But the udder?? It's got to be one of the most pendulous I've ever seen. It looks like she had very poor udder attachments and then was allowed to get way too full for way too long and broke down all the supporting ligaments. I hope she's not pregnant, but if she is I would not breed her again after this. Her kids are going to have a very hard time finding the teats since they're so low to the ground. Once they get to be a week old or so they'll probably manage, but you'll really need to help them at first. She's also got to be almost impossible to milk! I'm not sure how her previous owner did it. They must've cut a hole in the stanchion to set the bucket down into!

Ashlynn, Goataddict, MadHouse and 2 others like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I had a friend with a goat like this..it did take about a week to train new babies to nurse..One thing she tried with supervision is two car ramps with a board across..the kids came up between the ramps while mom was on the board. .i agree..i would not breed her..that udder will only get worse with each freshening. A ventilated bra would help support the udder and prevent her tearing it on brush and such

4. Iris88

Iris88 New Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Alabama
    Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, they are very close to the ground aren’t they. I have been able to milk her but it is different (to say least) than my other does. They said she was a wonderful mom and even took on some orphans in addition to her own two kids but I too was concerned about the kids being able to nurse. I don’t know how they did it so young without help!!! I did put her with the buck to be bred but I think she was with one before I got her. Do you think she will be ok if she is indeed bred? If the babies need help I will help them to nurse or if needed I can bottle feed them as I have had experience with both situations in the past.

5. Iris88

Iris88 New Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Alabama
    I won’t be breeding again but I like the ramp idea incase she is already.

6. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I'm going to shear some pictures of a doe I had that had blown out teats. Picture 1 is 6 weeks before she kid, picture 2 is from 3 weeks before she kid, picture 3 is 1 week before she kid, picture 4 is the day before and the last one is 12 hours after the 4th picture.

Attached Files:

Iris88 likes this.
  7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    DANG those photos make me squirm. I agree, it's poor udder conformation rather than blown teats which are still fairly defined. Please be sure to wether any bucklings and refrain from breeding any doelings. If meat goats are an option for you, that would be best to ensure they are never used for breeding purposed. We seriously don't need those udder genetics in the gene pool. YEEK!
    also THANK you for helping her and making her comfortable!

Be sure to give her a dose of Bo-Se or whatever you use for selenium supplement.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  8. Poor girl, I echo what the others say, her attachments are not good and her udder is way too low, she can step on it and injure herself. I wouldn't personally breed her again. And geeze, they can't just milk them when they want. Poor girl, every 3-4 days, her udder could have gotten overfilled which would have helped break down the attachments as well as blown out her teats. If someone chooses to milk a goat, there has to be commitment whether once or twice a day. It's not comfortable for them nor will one get consistent milk. I know this is not your doing, just frustrates me when dairy girls udders aren't cared for or bred for properly. Stuff happens, but they require a little extra care.

Goataddict likes this.
  9. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    If she is indeed bred back I think her udder will surprise you and fill back in however her teats will make it hard for the kids to nurse so you will have to spend extra time getting them used to nursing off large teats. I wish I had better pictures of my girl's teats when I was drying her up because she looked just like that! The mammary glands empty and shrinking so it looks REALLY bad but I think her udder will come back. I do agree though don't breed her again but if she is pregnant you will need to help the kids.

10. Iris88

Iris88 New Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Alabama
    Thanks that helps to see the difference! So not blown teats, but a bad udder. I have been fortunate enough not have had deal with either before. However that also means I had no idea what they were or what to do about them.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. Iris88

Iris88 New Member

Jul 28, 2020
    Alabama
    UPDATE:
    Ok I have stoped milking so she would stop producing milk. I’m just worried at the size of her udder. Should I milk out anything just to relive some weight? I don’t want to encourage any more milk production!!!
    Thanks everyone!!!

Attached Files:

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    As long as shes not tight or uncomfortable..i would leave them.

I honestly never seen a goat that looks like she has no udder...just teats but I have to say..that face!!! She is a doll.

Ashlynn, Damfino and Iris88 like this.
  14. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I always dry off slow, and would do the same in this case. Once a day for several days, every 36 hours for a few more days, every 48 hours, etc.

Iris88 likes this.
  15. So sad for that poor doe. She should never be bred and pass on an udder like that. We always want our girls udders to be attached firm and the udder up tight to the body. I hope she does not get an injury on it - easy for another animals to step on her when she is laying down or to catch it on something. I also dry off slowly and it works well for me. Once a day, then every other day for bit, I don't rush it and it just happens.

Iris88 likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Ranger1.

Iris88 likes this.