rescue pygmy-snotty nose/watery eyes

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Devin, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Hi, I am new here, and new to goats. we have a 4 week old nubian dairy goat named Arabella that we have only owned for a coupe weeks. We were searching for a playmate/companion when we ran across a rescue 3 day old pygmy whose mother dried up after giving birth. When hubby picked him yesterday he seemed relatively healthy, no snot. By the time he got home though he had a snotty nose and watery eyes. Hubby said he wasn't like that before, but he threw a massive fit when put into the car and cried all the way home. We thought that may have caused his snotty nose and watery eyes, but he is the same this morning.

The snot and watery eyes is clear. He is eating great. we have him in our house right now, so he is not cold. He is in quarentine away from our nubian baby. I have been using a warm damp cloth to wipe his eyes and nose. he does have scours from the massive food change from mom to replacer, and they gave us his medicine. I've been wiping off his back end as well. we have only had him since last night so other than that I don't know a whole lot about him.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Snotty nose can be from the stress of being pulled from mom and the whole trip. Try some vicks a little under his nose.

Is he taking the bottle well?
    what is his temp? normal rectal temp is 101.5 - 103

You said "they gave us his medicine" what is it and what did they say it is for? 3 day old kids dont usually need medicine for anything :chin:

3. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    12.5% sulfadimethoxine...start it NOW...Dose at 1cc per 5 #. It will treat him for coccidiosis and also any respiratory illness he has, as it is a sulfa type antibiotic. With a kid this young they can go from bad to worse in a few hours. Whatever "medicine" they gave you I would shelf for the time being until you can figure out what EXACTLY it is. Hopefully he got some colostrum if not from his mother than from somewhere else...You don't say what you are feeding him or the amount, both would be helpful...Good Luck

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'll post the name of the meds as soon as I can get them. But it is for his scours. He is eating well. 4 oz. of milk replacer. 4 times a day. (Save a Kid) I hope that is appropriate. I could not find anywhere how much to feed a pygmy, and this amount is what they were feeding him.

Supposedly he did get colostrum.

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    She called the medincine Metro (may be mispelled) it is just an anti-diahrea med.

He is eating 4 oz. 4 times a day.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hi back....nice having you here with us.... :wave: :thumb:

Do you know if the kid received colostrum at all? Could be why the immunity is down?

Did you get a temp on the kid?

He is very stressed from being torn away from his home he knows...If his temp is OK and his appetite is good...I wouldn't start him on antibiotics at all keep and eye on him and if he slacks back on eating ...get a temp...if it is high...then start him on antibiotics....

I'd rule out cocci.....
    with scours....whenever you switch over... do it gradually... if you can get some of moms milk... I'd get some and mix a little at each feeding...so the change isn't dramatic.... give the baby some pepto to help with the scouring....don't over feed...do a little at a time...and gradually increase ...so... the kids body... can adapt to the new.... diet change...

He may of caught a cold from stress.... just watch him...

Don't treat with antibiotics... if the kid still has appetite...and has no fever.... is acting healthy otherwise....that is where.... alot of people make mistakes .....

never heard of Metro...make sure it is safe for goat kids that young....

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    thanks! the meds were give by a vet. The lady that rescued him works for a vet. We just fed him and gave him a bath (his back end was really dirty) We dried him and put him back under his heat lamp.

Yes, he is eating well, and still acts hungry when he is finished. Should I slowely increase his food? he is eating 4 oz 4 times a day.

He did have colostrum, I was told, but I can't get milk from his mother as she dried up, that is why he needed rescued.

His nose seems a little better this afternoon, and I did get some vicks vapor rub. However, his eyes are runny and crusting a little. I have not taken a temp. Do I do that rectally?

8. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    BTW: his poo is not watery. It is kind of a brown goo. Should I be concerned? since he is still asking for food we thought we might give electrolytes in a bottle?? Is this OK?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :wink:
    Glad he is eating well... and had colostrum....

a well fed baby's stomach should feel full ....not tight.... scouring could mean... too much milk....
    Fill baby bottle with a measured amount of milk , allow baby to nurse until the stomach feels full and not tight.... then ....re-measure... what is left in the bottle- Subtract what he ate ....and this is a good starting point....always try... to mimmick mom.... :wink:

Can you get milk from another Doe....that you know... is clean... ?

He has a cold in the eyes...Do you have PenG ? Put a couple of drops in each eye...for a few days....it should clear up...

Yes take the temp rectally.... A digital thermometer is fast and easier than the standard thermometer.... :wink: :hug:

10. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Personally, I think taking a temperature is very important. It is easy and can tell you a lot. If it is normal, that is great...but if it is high you know he has a fever and is possibly sick with a cold, pnuemomina, etc. You can get a digital thermometer and use that.

Also, I agree with the Sulmet. You can find it at most feed stores and it is labeled for birds like chickens, but works well in goats. Even if he does not have a cocci problem or a respiratory infection the Sulmet will not hurt him. I use it on all my kids a couple of times as they are growing as a cocci preventative and it works very well.

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks so much for your help! I will post updates on him!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :hi5:

Added:Sorry I forgot to answer that question...
    For a new baby ...that is normal...it is a dark brown in color...it is called the poo plug( simple term) LOL....after it passes it....the poo... will be yellow looking.... like colostrum or milk... :wink: :thumb:

13. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    When you say put PenG in his eyes, do you mean penicillon?

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes...Penicillin ...take the needle off the syringe and put a couple of drops in them... don't inject with needle.. :wink:

15. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks! You have been a huge help. I did go to take his temp, but my thermometer wasn't working . . . . I'll take it tomorrow. Right now he is screaming for his supper so I think he is feeling OK lol! I picked up some penG at TSC but could not find the sulpha stuff.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No Problem...glad to help.... :thumb: :hi5:

Let us know the temp.... when you do get to take it..

Screaming for super is a good thing ...you know they are feeling good...and find they have a great set of lungs too.... :laugh:

Glad you got the PenG ...that will help...the eyes.... :hi5: :wink:

17. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    He did NOT like me putting the penG in his eyes. Squacked like I was killing him! I hope it helps. I was going to get Teramycin to put in his eyes as I've had that for my horses before, but the store was out.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He was likely more upset over being held down! PenG is a fairly gentle antibiotic. Hope it helps!

Terramycin is a better choice but since you already started with the Pen G, repeat it daily for a few days, and be sure to wipe his face and eyes to keep them free of ickies, if the Pen G doesn't clear them up within the next 3-4 days...wait 2-3 days after the last PenG app to try the Terramycin.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    HeHe....they never like anything we do to them......but... it does help .....it doesn't burn .......it is just annoying..... they probably can't see.... until they blink a few times...it is white...LOL ..... Either Teramycin or pen would of worked.. I find ...I only put the PenG in the eye 1x and it is good after that.... just watch and if the kid isn't quite back to normal......do it again....the next day.... The PenG will dry around the outer of the eye.. where it runs out.... don't worry.. it will fade out...and go away.... this is what worked for me... :wink:

20. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm sure you are right about the being held down lol! He certainly has an interesting squack! LOL! I will try to find the terramycin to have on hand, I like havng that around when the flies start irritating the horses anyway.