Rescued baby goat

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Mifune, May 6, 2018.

1. Mifune

Mifune New Member

May 6, 2018
    Hi.

While out hiking we found a baby goat next to it's dead mother.
    It was in the middle of nowhere and there was no shepherd close by.
    Mother had been rotting for days and the kid wouldn't leave her side.
    We rescued him and took him home with us.
    This was 5 days ago.

We gave him cows milk for the first day and then took him to the vet next day.
    Apparently he's around 25-30 days old (he looks older to me though).
    She gave him a vitamin injection, sprayed him for flees and gave us some powder milk to give to him (The powdered milk was in a clear bag with no label on it so I don't know if it has soy as one of the ingredients).

First day his stool was solid.. then after we started giving him the powdered milk his stool became more liquid.
    He drinks around ~2 litres of milk a day in three sessions.
    Yesterday evening I got worried and switched him to cows milk... this morning his stool was very wattery.

His temperament is fine and he runs around and is curious and nibbles whatever he finds around the garden.

I then googled a bit of information and found some sources that said you should gradually switch them over and should use an electrolyte solution.

So I mixed a bit of baking soda, salt and honey with some warm water and gave it to him.. he drank it up by himself for his midday session (around 250ml).
    He is however quite hungry and complains a lot.
    Should I continue with the solution for today and then try cows milk tomorrow?
    How much should I give him?
    Should I go tomorrow and him some sheep/goats yogurt so that he gets some probiotics?
    (It's a sunday and everything is closed today)

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?...Should I take him to the vet again tomorrow?
    I've heard diarrhea can be quite dangerous for goats so I'm rather worried.

Thank you

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    GoatiesRDear likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do the electrolytes today and give then in the bottle. Tomorrow give cow's milk. Add a pinch of baking soda to the first bottle of the day. You can put yogurt in the bottles. How much does he weigh?

groovyoldlady likes this.

3. Mifune

Mifune New Member

May 6, 2018
    He weighs 5.7 Kg.

4. ksalvagno

So that is 12.5 lbs. If he is doing well with the 2 liters, then continue that. You can slowly increase or decrease as necessary.

5. Mifune

Mifune New Member

May 6, 2018
    Ok I made him another solution of baking soda/salt/honey/chamomile/warm water and fed him with the bottle as you suggested. He drank all 600ml of it very happily.

I'll give him some more tonight before bedtime and then try cows milk tomorrow.

I'll also buy him some yogurt tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the help, I'll post any updates here.

6. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    That poor sweet baby. I am so glad you found and rescued him. I sure hope his scouring improves. One thing you can do that works wonders and is also safe and natural is give him Blackberry leaves. I have had them stop scours I thought nothing could. When you aren't quite so stressed over his condition I am sure everyone would love to see pictures of the little guy.

GoatiesRDear and SalteyLove like this.
  7. Mifune

Mifune New Member

May 6, 2018
    I wouldn't know where to get these... they don't grow around here.
    I'll ask in a herb shop though.

I'll also try to get a few nice pictures of him and post them here.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  8. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I know that they can be ordered online, too. If you can get some, they are amazing to have around for when you need them.

Can't wait to see the little one.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very good advice given.

Bless you for taking the baby in.

10. GoatiesRDear

GoatiesRDear Active Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ohio
    Pepto/Koalin and Scour Halt works well as does medicated milk. Scours can dehydrate a baby fast so I'd jump on getting it stopped soon. Any milk formula made for goats by Manna Pro is good quality. You want something that has released milk in it. If you can get fresh goats milk that would be the best option :) good luck!

11. GoatiesRDear

GoatiesRDear Active Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ohio
    *real milk (not *released

12. MadCatX

MadCatX Active Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Any chance we could get a picture of it, would this be a wild goat? I know sounds like a stupid question but curious

13. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How is the goat kid?

14. Mifune

Mifune New Member

May 6, 2018
    Hey,

sorry for no updates, I've been very busy.

Jimmy is doing fine.
    He was still having diarrhea and I tried a few things.. the latest being adding a bit of goat's yogurt in his milk. It seems to have done the job and stabilized his gut because his poop has been normal for the past three days! Made me so happy!

He's drinking more and more milk (around 3 lt a day now spread out in three sessions)
    The vet told me to feed him as much milk as he wants.. so I do.

He runs all over the garden, all around the house, loves to climb on things (short walls, rocks, wood piles etc) and adores one of our dogs... our coley. He jumps on her and sticks his head in her fur... she has a lovely temperament and doesn't seem to mind him at all.
    He also loves to follow me around and loves to chase me when I run.

While I'm at work I have him in this temporary pen I've made him.
    It's large enough, has shade and I've put hay all over so that it's soft for him and easy for me to clean up his poop. We own a large field next door where I plan to keep him when he gets a bit bigger but I'll need to make him a proper pen to keep him in when he's not free to run around.

When he's in his pen I leave some water, dry clover and crushed corn. He eats very little of both and still very much prefers his milk.
    How long will he still be on milk? Any ideas?

Even though there's an indigenous species of endangered feral goats around here, Jimmy isn't one of them. There are however lots of domesticated goats which run around freely on the mountains here. We always encounter them when we go out for hikes.

Here's a picture we took recently of two climbing goats (1 black, 1 white).
    It's a very common site here but always exciting to see:
    [​IMG]

And here's a few pictures I took of Jimmy (I apologize for the quality):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ksalvagno

He is cute. He probably could use a goat buddy. Glad he is doing well.

16. MadCatX

MadCatX Active Member

Jan 16, 2018
    AH man that's awesome and he's a good looking animal to wow. That pic on the mountain is great. He's stout looking to!

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I wouldn't give the crushed corn, especially with his digestive issues. Try to get hold of a nice balanced goat feed. Cute little Jimmy! So happy you were able to help him!

19. Clover the Goat

Clover the Goat Member

Jul 28, 2017
    North Carolina
    Sooooo cute! Soo glad hes better