Rescued fainters need advice!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Scubaliz, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Scubaliz

Scubaliz New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Hi! My name is Liz and I am a brand new goat owner. A rather unprepared one as well. 4 days a go, I received a call from one of my dog grooming clients about 2 goats she needed to place immediately. She was selling her home. We have 10 acres, mostly wooded and sloped, a small fenced in area where my chickens partially roam. Since I felt we could find a way to help them I :whatgoat: :whatgoat: picked them up in the back of my truck in a dog crate. They both fit comfortably.
    She said they are about 1.5 years old, both girls, both fainters- one gets stiff legged from just seeing us- and both the size of pigmy goats.
    Heres what worries me. They are absolutely terrified of us. Just walking in the pen makes them start to shake. Apparently she got them as a gift, at 9 weeks old and they raised them as pets. Then they realized they were fainters so began finding different ways to scare them. She bragged one of her daughters friends could do it every time.
    These poor goats are so traumatized- is it still possible to befriend them and how would I go about it? Thanks! Liz :sigh: :whatgoat:

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Wow, I know nothing about fainters, but it sounds like they will have a good home with you.

I would advise spending time in the pen with them and if possible hand feeding them. The more time you spend, the more they will get to know you and hopefully come to find out you aren't there to terrorize them.

3. Scubaliz

Scubaliz New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    sorry about the goat smileys- no idea how i put them there! These poor babies! i think it will be a long time before they take food, they hide and shake as soon as they see me. bought some goat treats from tsc.

4. :( So sad. I would find something they really like! like animal crackers for treats, and just start giving them treats every time you go out! eventually they will come to you to get them, but sometimes if they have been so misstreated they may not ever let you just walk up and pet them? So sorry.
    From a care aspect, First: you should get ya some good minerals(sweetlix is a good one), and baking soda, and have them available to your girls at all times. The baking soda is for upset tummies when they need it! Second: They should have some good quality hay available at all times. I personally with my girls feed Alfalfa.
    Do you know if they have been vaccinated? Or given BoSe? They sound REALLY small for thier age? Can you get us some pics? If they have not been given good minerals at thier previuos home I would try to get some BoSe(vet RX) and give them a dose, and if you don't know about the vaccines I would give them that too!
    Gosh they are lucky to have you now! I'm sure more people will be on here with things I have forgotten for now. Good Luck with them and keep us posted!

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Another thing you could do is just go in their pen with a chair and a book and just read. Let them get used to you being around and quiet so they learn that you aren't going to constantly scare them.

6. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Yes. That is what I did - sat in a lawn chair in the corner and let them get used to me while I read a book. Goats are so curious that it doesn't take them very long to come a little closer to figure out more about you. So glad they have you now. Good luck!

7. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    My goats love salted peanuts in the shell for treats, and even the shy ones take them out of my hand now. I think sitting in the pen with them is the very best thing you can do, take a book and be really quiet, perfect. It might take awhile. I hate it when people get fainters because they are fun to scare. Let them discover the treat from a distance, so they know what it is, and have some ready with you when you are in there, so whenever they get curious you will have a familiar treat for them.

Goats are wonderful, I hope they heal for you, they will be great companions if you can bring them around. And eat brush and weeds too.

Jan

8. Scubaliz

Scubaliz New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    got a berry mineral goat block from tsc and they did eat the treats after I left the pen. good sign! they were being fec a rather large scoop of goat pellets everyday and no hay. I am giving them about half the pellets an unlimited grass hay. I added a small flake of alfalfa grass mix because it has been really cold here. we don't have a barn, so I found an old goat box- looks like a large metal dog house. I bedded it with shavings and some hay- to get them in, they are now using it so I think they are well protected. neighbor breeds goats and he came to look at them. said he will vaccinate them soon when he does his. hoofs and eyes looked good to him. theory probably weigh about 40 and 50 lbs. one is all black with blue eyes, the other is mosty white with a caramel colored front end. she has a white stripe on her face that ends with a large heart on her forehead. they have smallet neat horns, and ears that flop straight out to the sides. buggy eyes, very small noses. ipad wont let me add photos...

9. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    Hi! I have fainters- some standard, some mini- and when they get used to you being around they will stop stiffening and "fainting"- although, they do it when they are excited too. Don't worry, it'll take some time, but as you were kind enough to take them in and care about how they feel (ie: not wanting to scare the bejeebees out of them for amusement) they'll get the idea and warm to you. Treats! Not TOO many, you know: raisins, pieces of fruit or veggies, crusts of bread.
    I'm new, but when I get the priviledge to PM- please PM me if you have ?s. There are plenty of others on here with way more experience than me, though. Best of luck to you. Goats are fun! You'll love them, I guarantee it. :love:

10. Scubaliz

Scubaliz New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks everyone fro your advice I am now wondering not what the heck I am going to do with goats- but how come I did not get any sooner! trying to load pics- would love to here how they "rank" in the goat world.

Attached Files:

11. Scubaliz

Scubaliz New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Martha and Betsy

Attached Files:

12. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    They are so cute! Good for you for taking them-you are a sucker like me, since I keep taking in sad story goats as well lol.

Goats also have a bad sweet tooth. My late buck and his offspring especially loved sourpatch kids. I never gave him a lot, but he was pretty wild when I adopted him, and by the end, he was as bad as any bottle baby for attention.

13. Awwwweee She is Super CUTE!!!

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!!

So sorry you got "thrown in" to the world of goats the way you did but my guess is that Martha and Betsy will come around to your attentions.

It's good that you have a neighbor that raises goats to help you out, most just have us here on TGS...Hands on experience is always best :wink:

You mentioned getting them the "Billy Block"....my guess is that if your TSC carries that then it should also have the Manna Pro goat minerals...mine does :greengrin: Loose minerals are best and the Manna Pro has a good percentage of copper, your black doe's red tint suggests she needs copper.

15. Scubaliz

Scubaliz New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    at 1.5 years, and small enough I can pick them up- They are small than a labrador- about pitbull size- (I am a dog groomer so everything is compared to dogs- including how man dogs is this going to cost me!)

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cute girls! So glad you rescued them. What a horrible life to live with someone who gets a kick out of scaring them often. I'm sure they will eventually calm down with you. Just be patient.

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most goats don't reach their adult weight or size until they are 3 years old, I don't know about Fainters, but I do know they are a meat breed and should be fairly thick, I have 2 almost 3 year old pygmy/nigi cross does and they are at 50# now, it's possible that yours are a cross of a mini breed like a ND or a Pygmy with Fainter...IDK.

18. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Lol...I compare everything to dog food. "Do you know how many bags of dog food that would buy me?" :p Welcome to TGS. As you can see, the people here are awesome and there are so many new things to learn. You'll be addicted on no time.

19. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    You have such a great heart~~!! God Bless you for taking them. :thumb: ..I am sure that in time you will be able to handle them...just take lots and lots of time. :hair: ..

so worth it in the end :dance: :wahoo:

20. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Welcome from Washington State... and good for you for taking these two dolls.. they are Really cute, I love how she wears her heart of her head. I guess my advice is also patience, raisins, and black oil sunflower seeds (like the bird feed kind) my goats love them and they are really good for their coats. You will find all the answers to all of your questions here... as well as encouragement and humor!
    I've been in the forum since October... and I've learned So Much.. I also have 2 does - Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats. From one newbie to another, Good luck and have FUN!