rescued goat...pregnant and sick

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goattee22, Feb 14, 2011.

1. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Eta: I meant to put this in caprine special care, sorry.

Some of you may have seen my other post where I was talking about getting a lamancha doe. Well I was told she was healthy. Got there to pick her up, um no she is NOT healthy! I couldn't leave her though, she needed a good home. Anyways, she's due to kid the first week of March, her feet are horrible, she's limping, skinny, rough coat, and a pretty nasty snotty nose with white/ greenish snot..quite a bit of it too. What can I give her? PenG can't be given to pregnant does can it? She's acting ok, I don't know her personality yet but she immediately stood up and came over to me when I got to the ladys house. I just picked her up about 15 min ago, I'm in the truck on the way home. I have no idea about her appetite yet. The goats the lady had, had no hay and no grass,all she feeds is grain. Yikes! But I need advice on what I can safely give this preg girl. Any help is appreciated!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is her temp? check that first...

Trim her up as much as you can... without making her bleed...and put iodine on her feet...

She sounds deficient...put out free choice loose goat minerals...

3. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    I will take her temp as soon as I get home, and I have minerals ready for her in her stall. Thank you for the reply!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... let us know.... :hug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pen G is safe for pregnant goats...I would also give her a CD/T now, and Booster it in 3 weeks.

Good minerals, good hay and TLC and I'm sure she'll do fine.

6. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Thanks Liz!

I stopped by tractor supply and all they had in stock was Duramycin. Is this safe for her? If so, what is the dosage? I have no way of weighing her, Shes a yearling LaMancha, but i have no idea what to put her weight at.

i just got home and its dark and i have no one to help me restrain her to take her temp, so i will do it first thing in the morning with my husbands help. But she is chowing down on some good coastal hay for now and ill introduce alfalfa slowly since she didnt even have grass or good hay from the previous home. I also gave her a handful of grain, and HOLY COW she acts like shes starving haha, but at least she has an appetite. But again, ill introduce it slowly.

Ill start the antibiotics tomorrow, when i find out if i can do the Duramycin or go find some PenG. And ill do the CD/T and nutridrench. can i do all this at once? I feel like im making a lot of changes in her life style. But i want her to be healthier before she kids. I also need to worm her, maybe, ill check eyelids in the morning too, but should i wait til after she kids to do that?

sorry with the question overload! im researching past posts to see what all info i can find but i still appreciate some input just to make sure im on the right track!

7. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    Glad she has a great new mommy to take care of her!!! :clap:

8. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    dectomax (either jeffers or hoeggers) is safe for pg does
    1cc per 50# given orallly
    good luck and God Bless You

9. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    You can give "regular" ivermectin paste/liquid (NOT the ivermec plus) safely to the pregnant girls. I don't know for sure about Duramycin, but I'm thinking not. Excenel is also a great antibiotic for respiratory issues and is safe for pregnant girls.

So glad to hear you have her now. Best wishes!

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A simple way to get a close estimate on weight requires a tape measure and a calculator.....Measure around the chest just behind the front legs for GIRTH, then measure from the shoulder to the hip for LENGTH... Take Girth multiplied by Girth multiplied by Length and divide by 300, this will give you an estimate of weight in pounds.I use ivermectin horse paste when needed, the doseage info is here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15190

Duramycin is the generic equivalent to LA200, there is concern that any tetracycline causes interference in bone growth of kids under 6 months of age as well as in utero.

11. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Re: rescued goat...pregnant and sick *UPDATE*

Thanks for the info and support !

I found some pen g and started her on that this . morning. I Also took her temp and it was 103.4. How long should I give her the antibiotics?

I am going to get some pics of her tomorrow, she really doesn't look as bad but I think its because She filled her tummy with hay and doesn't look so sunken in. She also got her feet trimmed...MUCH BETTER! She has a wee bit of clear discharge and a small udder. The lady couldn't give me a due date, she just said she's due the first wk of March...maybe y'all can tell from the pics if she looks like she just has a single or twins but she isn't big at all...only when she lays down haha. But I'm used to seeing my rollie pollie nigis and pygmies! This is my first standard goat and I must say, she stole my heart! Sweet sweet girl. I love her already.

Well thank u guys so much for the support and guidance again! Ill post pics tomorrow

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I need to give Pen G, I do the dose at 1cc per 20lbs and go 1x a day for 5-7 days. 103.4 is on the high end of normal but if she was struggling when you took her temp, that would play factor in raising it.
    Can't wait to meet your newest sweetheart!

13. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    It was 75 degrees here today and sunny, she is black and standing in the sun before I walked out there, but she wasn't struggling when we took the temp..she's such a good girl!

I forgot to ask, her eyelids were light pink, kinda pale. They still had a pink color But not as much as my other goats...should I worm now or after she kids?

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awwww I am so happy she found a good goat mommy to take care of her! Bless her heart! I can't wait to see pics of her :)

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since she's due in 3 weeks time, I would worm her with Ivermectin now and again in 10 days, as well as after she kids...pale lids usually are the result of a blood sucking worm like barber pole. I myself have a black doe who's lids are never a dark pink, I've done fecals on her at numerous times and couldn't see an issue with parasites, My vet even surmised that she is normal...check your does lids at varying times of day, in the sunlight and see if theres any change in color...stress can sometimes cause a paler color too.